Dickson DSB Data Logger - meat processing

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Dickson DSB Data Logger - meat processing

Post by Neto »

A client (Amish owned meat processing operation) is using the Dickson DSB model 1, RS031, along with the Discksonware program to comply with county or state health regulations for cooking temperatures and cool-down times. Unfortunately the user guide does not adequately explain operation procedures. The business owners thought that their inspector was familiar with this device, but he is not. I have sent info requests to the company (more than a month ago), but have not received any response.

Does anyone here run this sort of operation, or know someone who does, and especially if they use this device? Both the Amish company owner & I would much appreciate any assistance offered.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Re: Dickson DSB Data Logger - meat processing

Post by mike »

Neto wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:16 pm A client (Amish owned meat processing operation) is using the Dickson DSB model 1, RS031, along with the Discksonware program to comply with county or state health regulations for cooking temperatures and cool-down times. Unfortunately the user guide does not adequately explain operation procedures. The business owners thought that their inspector was familiar with this device, but he is not. I have sent info requests to the company (more than a month ago), but have not received any response.

Does anyone here run this sort of operation, or know someone who does, and especially if they use this device? Both the Amish company owner & I would much appreciate any assistance offered.
I'm not familiar with it. I assume you've tried the phone number on Dickson's website?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:16 pm A client (Amish owned meat processing operation) is using the Dickson DSB model 1, RS031, along with the Discksonware program to comply with county or state health regulations for cooking temperatures and cool-down times. Unfortunately the user guide does not adequately explain operation procedures. The business owners thought that their inspector was familiar with this device, but he is not. I have sent info requests to the company (more than a month ago), but have not received any response.

Do you have the Dicksonware software or are you trying to configure from the device itself?
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

mike wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:51 pm

I'm not familiar with it. I assume you've tried the phone number on Dickson's website?
I communicated with them via email during the purchasing and initial program installation process, but now they don't answer anymore. I have not tried to contact them via telephone. (I sort of have "phona-a-fobia" - I experience anxiety when I need to initiate a telephone call, because I cannot see them, to know if I am interrupting them or not. I have had jobs that involved calling people a lot, and did it, but that has not lessened the anxious response. So I avoid making telephone calls as much as possible. Also, getting info via email means that I am not frantically taking notes while on the call.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:11 pm

Do you have the Dicksonware software or are you trying to configure from the device itself?
Yes, the company has the Dicksonware program. The UG is very general, and doesn't describe the functions of the buttons on the data logger. It says things like "Some models allow so-and-so function". Or "Press such-and-such button to do so-and-so", and the buttons are not labeled at all on the device. I have done internet searches, and seen some descriptions for other models, but not this one. Also, the manual (UG) was written a LONG time ago, and this was possibly a new model.

It DOES work, but the main thing we need to know is whether this model has the capability to start & stop the recording process, and if so, how it is done. (He managed to start it, and then called me to come out again about 6 weeks later, and we finally realized that it had continued to record that entire time.) They need to get this working for them, because they were written up already last Fall for not having these records available.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Call them. They should be able to explain to their customers how to use the thing.
0 x