Eagle Business Software is now Koble

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Eagle Business Software is now Koble

Post by ken_sylvania »

Apparently they have decided to re-brand. The name reminds me of cobble - as in cobble something together.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Eagle Business Software is now Koble

Post by Josh »

What exciting changes will this bring you, the customer?
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:04 pm Apparently they have decided to re-brand. The name reminds me of cobble - as in cobble something together.
It isn't a unique name - Google it and various things called by that name show up.

I like business names that at least give a hint of what the business does. But at the same time I assume businesses often grow to something far beyond what they were when they started out, and that sometimes a name change reflecting something broader is in order.

Do you use EBMS? A former vendor of ours uses it, and I know of a store that used its POS software awhile back. Software is getting to be pretty close to the core of a lot of businesses including mine. We recently started using Shopify to accept online orders for certain things and it is clearly something we should have done years ago. It makes my and my employees' lives much easier.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

You'd have thought that the name "Google" would have been sufficiently unspecific. Yet they changed it to "Alphabet" anyway.
1 x
mike

Post by mike »

RZehr wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:06 pm You'd have thought that the name "Google" would have been sufficiently unspecific. Yet they changed it to "Alphabet" anyway.
I thought that was a weird.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Well, when you’re Google, you can make sure you show up high in Google search listings.
1 x
mike

Post by mike »

I guess the hope is that the bland, non-descript name will become ubiquitous. Like who thought Uber was a great name for a taxi service? There are some things to be said for very short business names.

Lidl
Aldi
Apple
Google
Amazon
Microsoft
Coca-Cola
Samsung
Toyota
Disney

I've also thought that business names starting with the letter A might have a sort of advantage. They sort at the top of lists. I don't really know how it helps them, but still, it gives them just a slight image of being on top. Maybe there's nothing to it.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Why doesn't somebody start a business called Aardvark? Oops. Already did.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:15 pm What exciting changes will this bring you, the customer?
None, because their pricing is high and their customer service is low. So I don't pay for their updates any more. In the past when I was on their subscription plan, basically what would happen with each release is they would fix some bugs and create new ones in the process.
Last edited by ken_sylvania on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:12 pm I've also thought that business names starting with the letter A might have a sort of advantage. They sort at the top of lists. I don't really know how it helps them, but still, it gives them just a slight image of being on top. Maybe there's nothing to it.
That used to be a common strategy in phone book listings. I have one from 2011 at my desk (not that I've used it in the last 10 years), and the first several entries are obviously competing:

A AAAAAA Addiction Help
A Aabagail's Silver Spoon Adoptions Inc
A Aardvark Abuse Addiction Agency Helpline
A ABaby Adoptions
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited