Pre-selecting for preferred gender

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Pre-selecting for preferred gender

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:53 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:51 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:49 pm

So the only way you could do this is through a fertility clinic using IVF?

I expect that a very tiny percentage of people who don't need to use IVF would chose to go through the hassle and expense just to increase the chance of one sex or the other.

BTW, I read somewhere a statistically significant higher number of youngest children are boys rather than girls. Apparently it is not uncommon (especially in the past) to keep having kids until you finally get a boy.
To clarify, I don't know that it has been used in humans. So I don't know what the mechanics of it would look like. It says they've attained a 90% success rate on the gender.
I'm more interested in the ethical aspect than I am the mechanical aspect.
Reading through the description it sounds like a LOT more embryos would be destroyed using this method than through regular IVF. But maybe I'm not understanding the description of the process.
Where are you getting this? I don't think any embryos are being destroyed at all. I don't see anything about IVF.
The part of the article I quoted, and the way I understand the technology, is that the sorting is being done on the bull semen prior to fertilization. Then the cow is being impregnated with semen that has had all the Y chromosomes removed, leaving only the X. No IVF, just artificial insemination, which has been used in animals for a while. As long as the sorting process is perfect, this leaves only the possibility that the embryo has XX and not YX.
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

^^correct. AI / artificial insemination.
as well, i corrected my post above about the Angus beef farm. it was not IVF.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

If this works on humans would it be desirable in cultures like China where females are routinely aborted in favor of a male child.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

barnhart wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:36 pm If this works on humans would it be desirable in cultures like China where females are routinely aborted in favor of a male child.
Yes, it seems bad, but better than abortion.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I feel like this wouldn’t work for multiple reasons… one being that it would have to be mechanically delivered would be one… this isn’t usually as effective and then IVF tends to be the primary way. I vaguely think there was something about sex selection but I’d have to look it up again.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:58 pm I feel like this wouldn’t work for multiple reasons… one being that it would have to be mechanically delivered would be one… this isn’t usually as effective and then IVF tends to be the primary way. I vaguely think there was something about sex selection but I’d have to look it up again.
abortion industry profiteers would not want to lose human tissue+body parts.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:51 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:53 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:51 pm
To clarify, I don't know that it has been used in humans. So I don't know what the mechanics of it would look like. It says they've attained a 90% success rate on the gender.
I'm more interested in the ethical aspect than I am the mechanical aspect.
Reading through the description it sounds like a LOT more embryos would be destroyed using this method than through regular IVF. But maybe I'm not understanding the description of the process.
Where are you getting this? I don't think any embryos are being destroyed at all. I don't see anything about IVF.
The part of the article I quoted, and the way I understand the technology, is that the sorting is being done on the bull semen prior to fertilization. Then the cow is being impregnated with semen that has had all the Y chromosomes removed, leaving only the X. No IVF, just artificial insemination, which has been used in animals for a while. As long as the sorting process is perfect, this leaves only the possibility that the embryo has XX and not YX.
Maybe I misread the description.

Are they applying their x chromosome sorting method to sperm or to embryos?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sperm only.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:46 pm
barnhart wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:36 pm If this works on humans would it be desirable in cultures like China where females are routinely aborted in favor of a male child.
Yes, it seems bad, but better than abortion.
And better than the post-birth selecting described in Exodus 1.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited