Business Payroll Software/Services

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Business Payroll Software/Services

Post by cooper »

Hello MennoNet,

I work for a business that has been using QuickBooks Pro 2020 3 user edition and processing their own payroll for 40 employees. Intuit is ending support for QuickBooks Pro 2020 in June 2023. The software cost about $600 and could be used for several years + $600/ year for payroll updates. To continue processing payroll, we need to upgrade to QuickBooks enterprise which is $3,000/ year. QuickBooks will due full-service payroll processing for $3,600/ year. However, I'm reluctant to go this route because the owner and some employees are social security exempt. I'm not sure QuickBooks payroll services would be able to work SS exemption.

Any software suggestions to affordably run our own payroll?
Any recommendations for payroll processing services by Anabaptists?

I know some folks read but don't have accounts. You can email me at 08dizzier_amps {@} icloud.com. (This is a temporary email address. I don't want my real email in the territory of web scrapers.)
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Business Payroll Software/Services

Post by Bootstrap »

I don't do anything like this.

When I was looking for an open source system for accounting, I briefly looked at Gnu Cash - https://www.gnucash.org/. It was overkill for my needs.

I'd be curious to hear what people who actually do this kind of thing think of it. It has good privacy, it's free, it has some enthusiastic supporters, that's all I really know.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Paychex can handle SS exemptions.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

cooper wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:51 pm Hello MennoNet,

I work for a business that has been using QuickBooks Pro 2020 3 user edition and processing their own payroll for 40 employees. Intuit is ending support for QuickBooks Pro 2020 in June 2023. The software cost about $600 and could be used for several years + $600/ year for payroll updates. To continue processing payroll, we need to upgrade to QuickBooks enterprise which is $3,000/ year. QuickBooks will due full-service payroll processing for $3,600/ year. However, I'm reluctant to go this route because the owner and some employees are social security exempt. I'm not sure QuickBooks payroll services would be able to work SS exemption.

I know some folks read but don't have accounts. You can email me at 08dizzier_amps {@} icloud.com. (This is a temporary email address. I don't want my real email in the territory of web scrapers.)
The state of accounting software is quite lousy right now. The free options aren’t good enough for an average business, and all the pay options have gone to subscriptions which seem to go up in price quite often.

For $3600/yr, I would ask your accounting firm to run payroll for you. I used to do this and my accountant charged $50 a payroll for up to 5 people. I did monthly to save money, so $600 a year. They filed all forms with the IRS, workers comp etc and then filed my business taxes for me. A good accounting firm will offer this service.

(We, as in my company, are planning to offer a QB-like accounting and payroll system in the not too distant future but will be restricting it to just Ohio and maybe one other state for a while.)
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:27 pm
(We, as in my company, are planning to offer a QB-like accounting and payroll system in the not too distant future but will be restricting it to just Ohio and maybe one other state for a while.)
Please keep us informed here of developments in this regard. Thanks.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

cooper wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:51 pm Hello MennoNet,

I don't know what the monthly charges were, because I was just the one who did the work, as an employee. But I worked for some time at a tax office that also ran a payroll service. Each business would either fax or call in the employee data every 2 weeks. I recorded the information, did the necessary reports, printed payroll checks, and dropped everything in the mail, to arrive by payday. (This was all around 15 years ago, so I do not recall the details, but I think that we may have also done direct bank deposits for some employees.) I would suggest asking your own accountant, and they should be able to provide contact information for another business that could do this for you, if they cannot themselves. I don't know where you are located, but maybe it wouldn't need to be anyone in your local area.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.