Sysadmin Wanted

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Sysadmin Wanted

Post by JimFoxvog »

I think one of the first things a "moral person" would want to know is the purpose, focus, or content of the system. Can you tell us more?
0 x
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

JimFoxvog wrote:I think one of the first things a "moral person" would want to know is the purpose, focus, or content of the system. Can you tell us more?
This is a good point. Christian and Old Testament ethics differ, so I would like to know whether a Christian can really work for a business with Old Testament ethics.

In the Old Testament, the Israelites were commanded to wipe out the Canaanites because they were so immoral. My view is that modern Western culture has reached the level of the Canaanites and is no longer owed any level of morality. But the Old Testament also makes clear that other moral cultures must be respected, particularly in Jeremiah 35. So I am required to act morally with all members of traditional moral cultures. This is in contrast to Christian ethics which requires moral behavior with everyone.

In practice, this means that I am ruthless in business when dealing with mainstream culture. But this doesn't affect everything I do, just some things. I have developed an open platform that can host any website. Anyone can use this platform. On top of this platform I run a number of businesses. The most profitable one is quite ruthless. Others are not ruthless, but don't make much money.

Obviously I wouldn't expect a Christian to work directly for the ruthless business. But what about the other businesses and the underlying platform? Are those contaminated by association or are they acceptable?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

So, how would you feel if I said I'd work for you, but then was quite ruthless in return?

You seem really comfortable justifying your own immoral behaviour. This kind of thing is expressly prohibited in all of the Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religions.
0 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Josh wrote:So, how would you feel if I said I'd work for you, but then was quite ruthless in return?
Almost everyone that I have dealt with in business was ruthless with me, so I wouldn't be in the least surprised.
You seem really comfortable justifying your own immoral behaviour. This kind of thing is expressly prohibited in all of the Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religions.
I am sorry but you are wrong. The idea of owing morality to everyone is strictly Christian.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Almost everyone that I have dealt with in business was ruthless with me, so I wouldn't be in the least surprised.
Perhaps there's a reason for that.

In my business dealings, most people have been fair and honest, including Muslims, Christians, and Jewish people. Ruthless people get a reputation for that and a lot of people avoid close dealings with them.

If everyone is ruthless towards you, you might want to consider that the only common factor here is you.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Franklin wrote:
Josh wrote:So, how would you feel if I said I'd work for you, but then was quite ruthless in return?
I am sorry but you are wrong. The idea of owing morality to everyone is strictly Christian.
Is tikkun olam strictly Christian?
0 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Josh wrote:
If everyone is ruthless towards you, you might want to consider that the only common factor here is you.
I said almost everyone. Please don't misquote me like a modern liberal would. I have solved the problem by refusing to have business relationships where trust is required with members of modern culture. My business partners now are all people who follow the Old Testament and we can trust each other. So the common factor is modern culture which is purely evil and which deserves to be completely wiped out. I have full faith that God will wipe out these evil people eventually. In the meantime, I will be ruthless with these people.
Josh wrote:Is tikkun olam strictly Christian?
"Tikkun olam" has been twisted beyond recognition by modern liberal Judaism. Quickly googling it, I found this:

https://www.algemeiner.com/2013/06/07/t ... kkun-olam/

But let me make clear to you what the Talmud teaches. The Talmud says that if a jew find a non-jew trapped in a pit, the jew is not to waste his time saving the non-jew. But the jew also is not to push a non-jew into a pit, primarily because this may get the jewish community in trouble. The Talmud makes clear that jews are simply to do what is in the best interest of the jewish community, and that jews have absolutely no moral obligations to non-jews. You can read more about this here:

And I can verify all this with my personal experience in Orthodox synagogue, which is why I looked for alternatives to Judaism. To make this clear, Judaism is basically racist with moral obligation being based mostly on race. The Old Testament is moralistic with moral obligation depending on the morality of the group that a person belongs to. And Christianity has a universal moral concept.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

That's not what Orthodox Judaism teaches, and that's also not how Orthodox Jewish people in general behave.

Your view of tikkun olam frankly sounds anti-Semitic to me.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

(By the way, absolutely no Conservative Mennonite in good standing is going to consent to being a sysadmin for websites promoting evil and where the owner thinks being "ruthless" is ok.)
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Franklin wrote: ...I have full faith that God ...
Is it fair to say that your belief in God has changed?
0 x