Sysadmin Wanted

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Sysadmin Wanted

Post by Franklin »

Yes I do realize that a Conservative Mennonite forum is not the ideal place to look for a system administrator. But I would prefer working with a moral person, and there is no harm in asking, so...

I am looking for a sysadmin to remotely manage Mac OS-X servers that will run java-based web servers. We also use Postgres. Pay is $5000/month. Please contact me if you are interested.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Sysadmin Wanted

Post by Josh »

Out of curiousity what hardware platform do you use?
0 x
solarsteve
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by solarsteve »

Franklin, i have an interest in your position of sysadmin. I used to be a sysadmin back in the late 1980's, when i first learned Unix(ultrix), VMS and Sun's version of Unix. Ever since i discovered PC's could run Linux, back in the late 1990s, i have been using that. I am not the most learned in it - i don't use it in a production environment - but i have learned (and forgotten) many programming languages and scripting shells. I have a decent internet connection (last mile a wireless link from the village of Tiskilwa, IL designed and implemented by me in about the early 2000 when we outgrew our satellite internet connection) and have a business helping folks in the rural area to get internet service and network their appliances together. I don't know about the publicity of this board, so i am lothe to post my email or phone number directly here. I would be interested in talking with you further about the job requirements, what on-site work might be needed (and where the site is, if needed), what time commitment we are talking about, and other such particulars. If you know a way to post something that would be private to the two of us, i would give you my contact information. Otherwise, i am not sure what i feel good about posting here, or on any public posting bulletin board. We had to abandon an email address we had when it got spammed big time. I am not sure what mistake we made that allowed that to happen.
About my faith background, at least since coming out to Illinois:
I first came out to Plow Creek Mennonite Church with my family in August of 1998. We stayed there until 2010, when both we decided to move out, and the house we were staying in burned down. We now live nearby, and still receive internet service through the connection i designed, although a friend of mine does the system administration work on it now. We now attend Willow Springs Mennonite Church south of Tiskilwa, where we are members.
0 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Josh wrote:Out of curiousity what hardware platform do you use?
Mac servers
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Franklin wrote:
Josh wrote:Out of curiousity what hardware platform do you use?
Mac servers
How old is this hardware? Apple discontinued the Xserve line a while ago.

(I used to have to maintain some apps that were deployed on Xserves in a university environment... as the hardware aged, replacing them with another platform became a priority.)
0 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Josh wrote:How old is this hardware?
I am not sure. We are using this service:

http://www.macminivault.com/
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Franklin wrote:
Josh wrote:How old is this hardware?
I am not sure. We are using this service:

http://www.macminivault.com/
That's certainly interesting.

Can I ask why you elected to use the OS X server platform? It would make sense for a workload like WebObjects, but I'm puzzled what the utility is if the workload is just Java servlets, e.g. something like Tomcat. I'd just run that on Linux.
0 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Josh wrote:Can I ask why you elected to use the OS X server platform? It would make sense for a workload like WebObjects, but I'm puzzled what the utility is if the workload is just Java servlets, e.g. something like Tomcat. I'd just run that on Linux.
I have a Mac at home. It is nice to just have one environment to deal with. I can connect from my local Mac to a Mac server and see the full GUI interface, so I don't have to be limited to command line tools.

I think that one of the keys to simplicity is to use as few different technologies as possible. For example, our new websites only depend on Java - no Apache, no separate database, no other technology.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Franklin wrote:I think that one of the keys to simplicity is to use as few different technologies as possible. For example, our new websites only depend on Java - no Apache, no separate database, no other technology.
What server do you use? Tomcat?

In my line of work we use Tomcat, but there are a lot of limitations that mean it makes sense to park something like nginx or Apache in front of it. I'm not sure how Java can function as a database.
0 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Josh wrote:What server do you use? Tomcat?

In my line of work we use Tomcat, but there are a lot of limitations that mean it makes sense to park something like nginx or Apache in front of it. I'm not sure how Java can function as a database.
I use Jetty for webserving. But the truth is that all Java webservers are junk and I will eventually write my own. I use Lucene as a database.
0 x