Computer/Device restart vs. shut down?

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Computer/Device restart vs. shut down?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm noticing that when certain devices get glitchy that a simple restart doesn't work, and shutting it down for a while seems to remedy whatever issue I had. Is there a reason behind this? I know on a work device I was told that I had to do a total shutdown every now and again so it can run its updates.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Computer/Device restart vs. shut down?

Post by Neto »

It may well be true that at least some updates DO require a complete shut-down and power-up in order to complete the update process (I do see this on my cellular telephone, a Google Pixel 3.), but there has been a difference between a simple restart and a shut-down followed by a power-up for Windows at least since 98SE. Sometimes it may also be helpful to disconnect the power entirely, then push the power button (with the power still disconnected) in order to drain all of the capacitors and other circuitry of residual power. (At any rate, it doesn't hurt anything, and may help at times.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Thank you.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I've read that with Windows and the standard quick start setting, a restart may fix things that shutting down and turning on again doesn't fix. Worth trying both options!
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

JimFoxvog wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:53 am I've read that with Windows and the standard quick start setting, a restart may fix things that shutting down and turning on again doesn't fix. Worth trying both options!
Good point. This is certainly true in respect to getting updates to apply. If it says "restart", that's what it has to be. A shut-down & power-up will not do the "damage". (I say "damage" because of the frequency with which Microsoft updates break things.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.