Gmail Inbox - Multiple readers

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Gmail Inbox - Multiple readers

Post by Ernie »

Is there a way for a second user to simply read emails that come into an inbox (without forwarding the emails to him) without giving the second user the same login credentials that the owner of the account uses?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Gmail Inbox - Multiple readers

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:59 am Is there a way for a second user to simply read emails that come into an inbox (without forwarding the emails to him) without giving the second user the same login credentials that the owner of the account uses?
Set up 2FA and then have the second user use IMAP
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Both IMAP. There is another way to do it with POP. You can set your email client to download, but not delete until you delete the email in the client. I do this when I travel with my laptop so I can download all the mail onto my home computer when I get back home.

I assume you are using POP right now. POP downloads the email from the gmail box and then deletes the copy in the gmail box.

IMAP leaves it on the server until you delete the email, then it deletes it on the server. This works if you have a pretty constant internet connection. POP is from the old days when you logged in, got your mail, then shut down your connection.

If you have a constant connection, you could just use the gmail web interface.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Robert wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:50 am Both IMAP. There is another way to do it with POP. You can set your email client to download, but not delete until you delete the email in the client. I do this when I travel with my laptop so I can download all the mail onto my home computer when I get back home.

I assume you are using POP right now. POP downloads the email from the gmail box and then deletes the copy in the gmail box.

IMAP leaves it on the server until you delete the email, then it deletes it on the server. This works if you have a pretty constant internet connection. POP is from the old days when you logged in, got your mail, then shut down your connection.

I have a question about POP3 & the emails left on the server. Does what you say here pertain only to Google email? I have email through Yahoo. (Originally through the Verizon hard line telephone service, then Frontier took over, and passed the email service on to Yahoo, and now we no longer have a hard line, because we had a big straight-line wind storm here in Holmes Co back in June, and Frontier never repaired the telephone line in our section of Berlin.)
Anyway, the emails stay on their server for at least around 2 weeks.

Another question: Is there a way to shut down their spam filter completely? They miss the real spam, and hold back some that are not spam - important messages. (I recently bought hundreds of dollars of computer components for a project that the customer had, unbekownst to me, cancelled a couple of days before I made the purchases. All because of their stupid spam filter. Yes, I could have returned the parts, but shipping and restocking fees would have made it a permanent loss. Hopefully I will still be able to eventually use these parts on another project. It's a gamble.)
(You can respond via PM if you prefer, to avoid further side-tracking of this topic.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ernie wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:59 am Is there a way for a second user to simply read emails that come into an inbox (without forwarding the emails to him) without giving the second user the same login credentials that the owner of the account uses?
Go to Settings>All Settings>Accounts and Import. About half-way down the page should be "Grant access to your account:" where you can set another Gmail account to be able to read and send email on your behalf.

You can also choose whether to mark the email as read when the other account opens it, and you can also choose whether, when that other user sends emails, it shows as coming from you or alternatively shows as coming from you (but"sent by other person").
1 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:04 am
Robert wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:50 am Both IMAP. There is another way to do it with POP. You can set your email client to download, but not delete until you delete the email in the client. I do this when I travel with my laptop so I can download all the mail onto my home computer when I get back home.

I have a question about POP3 & the emails left on the server. Does what you say here pertain only to Google email? I have email through Yahoo. (Originally through the Verizon hard line telephone service, then Frontier took over, and passed the email service on to Yahoo, and now we no longer have a hard line, because we had a big straight-line wind storm here in Holmes Co back in June, and Frontier never repaired the telephone line in our section of Berlin.)
Anyway, the emails stay on their server for at least around 2 weeks.

Another question: Is there a way to shut down their spam filter completely? They miss the real spam, and hold back some that are not spam - important messages. (I recently bought hundreds of dollars of computer components for a project that the customer had, unbekownst to me, cancelled a couple of days before I made the purchases. All because of their stupid spam filter. Yes, I could have returned the parts, but shipping and restocking fees would have made it a permanent loss. Hopefully I will still be able to eventually use these parts on another project. It's a gamble.)
(You can respond via PM if you prefer, to avoid further side-tracking of this topic.)
There is a workaround to effectively turn off the spam folder for Gmail and something similar would likely work for Yahoo as well. Go into your account to "Filters" and create a new filter for incoming mail. Gmail has the option to create a filter for emails that do not contain a specific text string. Set your new filter to apply to all emails that do not contain a gibberish text string, ie. "lsdaf;sdfj;otrfq", and under actions choose "Never send it to spam."
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Neto wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:04 am I have a question about POP3 & the emails left on the server. Does what you say here pertain only to Google email?
It would pertain to any email account because these settings are in the client not the server.
Neto wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:04 am Another question: Is there a way to shut down their spam filter completely?
Above is a good option but there should be some way to shut off the spam filter in the client. I would do a web search for that and see if you get info.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Robert wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:25 am
Neto wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:04 am I have a question about POP3 & the emails left on the server. Does what you say here pertain only to Google email?
It would pertain to any email account because these settings are in the client not the server.
Neto wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:04 am Another question: Is there a way to shut down their spam filter completely?
Above is a good option but there should be some way to shut off the spam filter in the client. I would do a web search for that and see if you get info.
I'm pretty sure that is shut off completely at my end (using Thunderbird), because of the spam that gets through the Yahoo filter. But they snag messages that I need to see on their end. I have to go on-line from time to time (into the on-line Spam folder) and tag each such message as "Not Spam'. Then it goes to the on-line In Box, and the next time I call in email, it comes into T-bird.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Yea, the issue is the spam filter on Yahoo. I don't have Yahoo account so I can't speak to the ability to turn off spam filters there. You should some way, but maybe not.

I could set you one up on my server and you can just forward your mail there, but it may still not forward all mail.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie,

Did you figure out how to get this working?
0 x