FAX Modem for Windows 10 environment

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

FAX Modem for Windows 10 environment

Post by Neto »

Yea, FAX. I know that it's not used in the main stream business world, but some still need/want it.

So, my question is, what are some telephone-FAX USB modems that have drivers available for Windows 10? The modem that was being used in Windows 7 was the TrendNet TFM 561U. The latest drivers available are for Win 7. It worked for one day in OS 10, I think using the built-in Windows drivers, showing in Device Manager as a Conexant modem.

Any advice/experience? (An on-line search limited to the last year brings up one listed as a Conexant brand, but the picture shows a TrendNet modem.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: FAX Modem for Windows 10 environment

Post by Josh »

Most people doing faxes nowadays (which still seems to be every medical and dental office out there, plus a large fraction of banks, title companies, and so on) use a dedicated multifunction fax/printer/scanner/copier. Many of these have excellent drivers and will install fax software on your computer. You can then print directly to fax.

For inbound faxes they usually have a variety of options including just printing them out, or filing them to a shared drive, an email address, etc.

I personally use HumbleFax for faxing, where I upload .pdf's to be faxed, and inbound faxes show up in email.
0 x
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

Most of the conexant chipset modems work fine on windows 10 as long as you only have 1 modem per computer. Some models have addressing issues when using more than one.

Personally I prefer the Multitech cdc modems, that seem to be more reliable. i.e. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203601978984
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Thank you all for your replies, and those who just had a look.

I have not ever heard of the MultiTech USB MultiMobile MT9234MU-CDC.

I (actually nearly my whole family) was sick with some sort of stomach deal over Saturday, regaining strength now. So I wasn't able to do anymore about this until this morning. Then I thought to check if I might still have a fax modem in stock (as Josh suggested, most people are using other methods of communication now), and it turns out that I actually have two StarTech USB modems. The drivers on the CD only go up to OS 8, but their website and also several reviews I read say that it works with OS 10 & 11, and the driver package available for download appears to be the same as the OS 8 one on the disk. We no longer have any physical telephone line (The June 13th storm took out the lines, and I don't think Frontier ever repaired the ones that used to service our part of Berlin. At least they never got it going in the 4 weeks that followed the storm. We were getting our internet through them as well, and just finally gave up on them, and got cable.)

Anyway, I will know after tomorrow, as I am planning to go back out on-site in the morning, Lord willing.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:40 pm Thank you all for your replies, and those who just had a look.

I (actually nearly my whole family) was sick with some sort of stomach deal over Saturday, regaining strength now. So I wasn't able to do anymore about this until this morning. Then I thought to check if I might still have a fax modem in stock (as Josh suggested, most people are using other methods of communication now), and it turns out that I actually have two StarTech USB modems. The drivers on the CD only go up to OS 8, but their website and also several reviews I read say that it works with OS 10 & 11, and the driver package available for download appears to be the same as the OS 8 one on the disk. We no longer have any physical telephone line (The June 13th storm took out the lines, and I don't think Frontier ever repaired the ones that used to service our part of Berlin. At least they never got it going in the 4 weeks that followed the storm. We were getting our internet through them as well, and just finally gave up on them, and got cable.)

Anyway, I will know after tomorrow, as I am planning to go back out on-site in the morning, Lord willing.
Were you drinking raw milk from the Amish farm?
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:51 pm
Neto wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:40 pm Thank you all for your replies, and those who just had a look.

No, but I grew up on raw milk, and I don't think we ever got sick from that. We don't know what caused it, but no one wanted to eat the leftovers from our last meal before it came on.... (Some of it was purchased ready made at one of the local grocery-delis, and that contained mayonaise. That is my guess for where it came from, so what was left of it went in the garbage without any complaints from anyone. It's not the sort of thing you want to keep testing.)
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 pm

No, but I grew up on raw milk, and I don't think we ever got sick from that. We don't know what caused it, but no one wanted to eat the leftovers from our last meal before it came on.... (Some of it was purchased ready made at one of the local grocery-delis, and that contained mayonaise. That is my guess for where it came from, so what was left of it went in the garbage without any complaints from anyone. It's not the sort of thing you want to keep testing.)
I don't know that I ever got sick from raw milk either and I've drunk a lot more raw milk than pasteurized milk.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:00 pm
I don't know that I ever got sick from raw milk either and I've drunk a lot more raw milk than pasteurized milk.
All I ever had growing up. And being "Russian Mennonite", we also drank clabbered milk, where you let it set out until it gets really thick, almost to the stage of going to cottage cheese. Haven't had any in many years though.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

I found that I had a StarTech USB modem (#USB56KEMH2) in old stock (stuff I figured I could never sell anymore), and took one along out to the business today. I had run a test on Windows 10 Build 21H2 in my shop, and it was recognized there, but when I ran it on theirs, the installer couldn't find it. (But Windows Device Manager did.) Same build version. Tried different ports, no go. Actually, sometimes the drivers program would find it, but in the end installation would fail. This was from a download listed as for OS 8-10. The disk only went up to 8, and the file appears to be the same. Reviews said that it works in OS 11 as well. Tried it over and over enough time to qualify for insanity.

So now I'm looking for internal modems as well. But the motherboard is old - an Intel DH61CR. I don't have the product info here, but it's from about 10 years back. I have four internal modems here, but I don't imagine there are drivers available for them. (Actually have more, but these are the only ones that were labeled w/ a manufacturer name. One is Intel, one US Robotics, one Conexant, and the other a brand I don't think I've ever seen before, Smart Modular Technologies.)

Anyway, if someone knows of a current internal modem, one that would be supported for OS 10, I'd like to hear about it. I know that the whole FAX deal is old tech, and that "no one" uses it anymore, but this business does, so I have to do all I can to make it work for him.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Neto wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:36 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:00 pm

All I ever had growing up. And being "Russian Mennonite", we also drank clabbered milk, where you let it set out until it gets really thick, almost to the stage of going to cottage cheese. Haven't had any in many years though.
That sounds like just about the nastiest thing out there.
0 x