Monitors with FreeSync

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Monitors with FreeSync

Post by Ernie »

I'm wanting to get a 27-28" flat screen monitor. I don't do gaming but do play videos.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of "freesync"?

Not sure why the freesync option is less expensive???

www.amazon.com/Sceptre-27-Inch-Gaming-M ... B078HSKBG3
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Monitors with FreeSync

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:13 am I'm wanting to get a 27-28" flat screen monitor. I don't do gaming but do play videos.

I don't think you need a gaming monitor just to play videos.

The point of expensive gaming monitors is to eliminate any delay from when you do an action with your mouse or game controller and the action on the screen. They do that through higher response rates and refresh.

When you are watching an online video the video streaming software has a built-in buffer anyway and you can't tell if there is a millisecond delay between the netflix or YouTube signal is processed and when it is displayed on your screen. And you don't care if the signal is very slightly delayed.

From what I have read: https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-ce ... aming.html it looks like freesync is a software application that allows the monitor to better sync-up with the output of certain advanced graphics chips. So unless you are using a newer PC with a separate dedicated graphics chip it might not be of any use anyway.

Unless you are doing something like advanced photo processing and editing where you need the display to be absolutely color accurate, I would just get whatever well rated but inexpensive standard monitor has the size and resolution that you want. Pay attention to the ports. I recently returned a cheap monitor I bought at Costco because it didn't have the modern DisplayPort inputs, only older HDMI. Probably why it was cheaper and on sale. I was setting up a work-from-home station for my wife and the laptop hub her employer provided required DisplayPort not HDMI inputs.

That monitor you linked to has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels which is generic HD resolution. If it were me and I was buying a monitor for my personal use I'd get a 4K monitor which is 3840 x 2160 resolution. They cost more but if you are doing traditional computer work like text editing, Excel, or photo editing the greater pixel density will give you higher resolution still images and make things like full-page and two-page text displays easier to read. It just gives you a nicer still screen to look at. But you also need a newer computer than can drive a 4K monitor.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I really doubt you will experience any problems if you are not gaming.
FreeSync dynamically adapts the display refresh rate to variable frame rates which result from irregular GPU load when rendering complex gaming content as well as the lower 23.97/24/29.97/30 fps used by fixed video content. This helps remove stuttering delays caused by the video interface having to finish the current frame and screen tearing when starting a new frame in the middle of transmission (with vertical sync off).
I don't even think twice about what specific tech the monitor is using... generally but most people buying monitors that large are after the gaming experience or stream movies. I've never bought larger then a 17 inch myself as I have always gone with the approach of "its a monitor"... That being said, I've ran into compatibility issues with trying to use the monitor on newer computers or dual screens.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Thanks for the info. And any idea on whether or not I would like a curved monitor?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I use flat 4K 23” or 27” monitors from LG and Samsung. The main thing I care about is being IPS or some other modern technology since it has sharper colour definition and higher real contrast.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:08 pm Thanks for the info. And any idea on whether or not I would like a curved monitor?
I don't think there is any point to a curved monitor in the 28" size range. They only really start to make sense if you are talking about MUCH wider monitors then that. And at that point you might as well consider a dual monitor display. I personally find vertical pixels more important than horizontal because I do a lot of full page editing.

I'm currently using this LG 4K 27" monitor https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27UL6 ... ed-monitor which I picked up on sale and works perfectly for my needs which is mostly full-page text editing and working on large data entry screens with lots and lots of cells. It also plays video beautifully but I normally don't use it for that. It costs more than the one you linked to but that is mostly due to the higher resolution. Which I find very useful.

I keep my work or personal laptop closed and docked next to it and if for some reason I need more screen space I just open up the laptop screen and get two screens that way.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ernie wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:08 pm Thanks for the info. And any idea on whether or not I would like a curved monitor?
I would go with two 27" flat monitors before doing a curved monitor.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ernie wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:13 am I'm wanting to get a 27-28" flat screen monitor. I don't do gaming but do play videos.

Some graphics cards are not compatible with FreeSync. Not that it creates a problem - you just don't get the potential benefits. Although I highly doubt you will notice any benefit at all with FreeSync if you're not gaming.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ernie wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:12 pm If you were buying a 4k flatscreen, which of these would you buy?

www.amazon.com/AOC-U2790VQ-3840x2160-Fr ... 91&sr=8-11

www.amazon.com/Philips-276E8VJSB-3840x2 ... 91&sr=8-10

This one has speakers.
www.amazon.com/Z-Edge-3840x2160-Respons ... 91&sr=8-14
The Philips is a good option. I bought a couple of them for $269/ea a number of months ago and my guys seem to like them.
0 x