Ad Blockers

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Ad Blockers

Post by Ernie »

What ad blockers do you recommend and why?

Is it a good idea to have more than on ad blocker installed on a device?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Ad Blockers

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:10 pm What ad blockers do you recommend and why?

Is it a good idea to have more than on ad blocker installed on a device?
If you mean on a cellular phone, I don't have any ad blocker - I almost never use the internet on it. Only occasionally, to download drivers while out on a service call.

On my PC: I generally use the browser called Brave, which automatically blocks all ads.

(I also never go on the internet when logged into the Windows admin account. So I don't need to have any antivirus software installed, either. It just drags down the system.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Neto, i have a question on your posting, but it's a bunny trail to this thread.
can you answer me at this thread please?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4920
thanks much.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

AdBlocker Ultimate for Firefox desktop. Does the job, but some news purveyors insist on having it disabled on their sites.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Are you concerned about privacy, security, or do you just want the internet to be readable?

I use uBlock on Firefox, which does the job pretty well.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Pelerin wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:21 am Are you concerned about privacy, security, or do you just want the internet to be readable?

I use uBlock on Firefox, which does the job pretty well.
I like as few ads as possible and basically only use internet on my pc.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I gave up long ago using any type of filter or blockers on my personal devices. Either it slowed the system down or I had to disable it to get done what had to be done.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I use Brave and have really been pleased.

I use an ad blocker for Youtube extension, so I do not see any ads when I watch. Adblock Plus.

Any Chrome extensions will run on Brave. Adblock Plus is the only extension I use on Brave. The rest is built in and seems to handle things really nicely. Just ignore all the Crypto features. It runs just fine without ever doing anything with it in crypto.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Robert wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:13 am I use Brave and have really been pleased.

I use an ad blocker for Youtube extension, so I do not see any ads when I watch. Adblock Plus.

Any Chrome extensions will run on Brave. Adblock Plus is the only extension I use on Brave. The rest is built in and seems to handle things really nicely. Just ignore all the Crypto features. It runs just fine without ever doing anything with it in crypto.
Ok. I got Brave installed. I do not like the big loud Icon that shows up everywhere on my desktop homescreen. I can change individual icons on shortcuts but I want everything to be changed to a different Icon. Any ideas how I do that?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Can you show a screenshot if the big icon. Not sure what you are seeing. I do not have one.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.