Graphic Design

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Graphic Design

Post by Ernie »

A friend is getting into graphic design and uses Adobe.
She needs some good tutors or webinars, etc. Anybody have anything free or low cost to recommend?
Please only give suggestions that have beneffited you or people you know. We can do our own Google searches. Thanks.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RickH
Affiliation:

Re: Graphic Design

Post by RickH »

I, personally, like the training on Udemy.com.
However, NEVER pay full price for their classes. They go on sale very frequently and if you allow them to send you emails, they send you specials through email frequently too.
The average price for a course on sale is $12-$20. If she has never purchased a class from them, the site should give her a first course deal.
I bought a course for Adobe PhotoShop that is currently 37.5 hours long (he updates with new PhotoShop features and tutorials regularly). I think that I paid $20 for it. I really like it, although I’m only about 5% through it though. The instructor provides you with the files that he uses so you can pause the video and follow along in your software.
It is located at https://www.udemy.com/course/master-ado ... roductive/
I enjoy Udemy because you can pause the video and take notes directly below the video on the notes tab and also watch the video in full screen if you wish to. Also, you own the course. It never expires and you always have access, even if the instructor adds new material.
Of course, she can also search the Udemy web site for another course if this one doesn’t fit her needs. They have a lot of courses.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:10 pm A friend is getting into graphic design and uses Adobe.
She needs some good tutors or webinars, etc. Anybody have anything free or low cost to recommend?
Please only give suggestions that have beneffited you or people you know. We can do our own Google searches. Thanks.
LinkedIn Learning isn’t too bad (formerly called Lynda.com) and they have some low cost options or free trials that last a month or so.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

The real trick is getting a good-paying job as a graphic designer.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Tutors for graphic design, or tutors for the software? It's 2 different subjects.
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Ken wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:05 am The real trick is getting a good-paying job as a graphic designer.
That's no problem. Enter contests where only the winner gets paid. After all, creativity isn't a tangible commodity and artists shouldn't get paid unless we like what they do. It makes no sense to build a relationship with a designer that we trust, and then use their work. Way better to have designs done as spec work.

Just like we can go to a grocery store and sample all the steak, and then pay for the one we liked, or we can get woodworkers by the hundred to build us furniture and then pay the guy who does a piece closest to how we like. Yes I'm looking at all you people who use fiver and 99designs.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Signtist wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:23 am
Ken wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:05 am The real trick is getting a good-paying job as a graphic designer.
That's no problem. Enter contests where only the winner gets paid. After all, creativity isn't a tangible commodity and artists shouldn't get paid unless we like what they do. It makes no sense to build a relationship with a designer that we trust, and then use their work. Way better to have designs done as spec work.

Just like we can go to a grocery store and sample all the steak, and then pay for the one we liked, or we can get woodworkers by the hundred to build us furniture and then pay the guy who does a piece closest to how we like. Yes I'm looking at all you people who use fiver and 99designs.
I think I detect a hint of sarcasm somewhere...
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Signtist wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:17 am Tutors for graphic design, or tutors for the software? It's 2 different subjects.
both
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Graphic design covers such a broad spectrum of work. Is there a particular branch she's hoping to specialize in? Sorry, I'm not answering your question. But my suggestions are for a very specific branch of designing.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Signtist wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:01 am Graphic design covers such a broad spectrum of work. Is there a particular branch she's hoping to specialize in? Sorry, I'm not answering your question. But my suggestions are for a very specific branch of designing.
designing brochures and advertising posters
0 x