Decay of Church Finder

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Decay of Church Finder

Post by Franklin »

As humanity becomes increasingly horrible, everything in the modern world decays, and the Mennonite Church Finder is no exception.

https://www.pilgrimministry.org/congregations/map

Here is a church that I have visited several times:

https://www.pilgrimministry.org/church- ... ite-church

The "Meeting Time" is "Not Available". This is the case for every church I have looked at. In the older version of this site, meeting times were listed.

The church phone number is hidden behind the "CONTACT" image instead of being in plain text. Obviously plain text is better, easy to read and to copy-and-paste.

On the main page, the letters under the map are now Javascript which limits the page to churches starting with that letter. But there is no way to undo this and look at all churches, except to reload the page and start over.

These changes are typical of the degeneracy of modern software. All modern software is becoming increasingly complex and unusable. Everything that is plain and simple and easy to use is hated by horrible modern culture and modern people.

Of course I don't just complain. I always offer to fix the problem, but generally there is no interest in anything good by modern people because they are purely evil and hate all good. If anyone wants me to program a plain church finder, I would be glad to do so if I am given the data.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Decay of Church Finder

Post by Soloist »

yeah... the church finder has some serious limits... Outside of that... Mennonites do not expect visitors and do not post a sign or anything if they do not have service. Its hard to get ahold of people using the published phones.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The more conservative people don’t use Internet and thus don’t see value in putting things online.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

The Mennonite Church Finder you linked to above is not any sort of official directory of anything. It is apparently run by Pilgrim Ministries which is a small splinter conference of about 25 congregations. So they only actually represent about 2% of the 800 or so congregations that they have indexed on that site. The others they must have just added by scraping or digitizing various other directories, in most cases I suspect without asking or verifying the information.

The one thing about Mennonites is that there is no central authority for anything above the conference level. That also means that there are no things like official directories above the conference level. Just things that certain individuals have put together as pet projects on their own.

That directory is also not comprehensive. It doesn't include Holdeman churches, for example. Or more mainstream conferences like CMC, LMC, and MCUSA. It is also missing the most conservative groups. So someone has pre-filtered it according to some criteria of plainness or conservativeness that they don't disclose.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

I made the above post for 2 reasons. First is as a small example of why I hate modern humanity, an example that most here should be familiar with. I don't expect Christians to agree with me but at least you can understand my reasons. Everything is decaying like this. People are doing everything in the their power to make everything worse. The Church Finder page was recently updated, and was made worse.

Second, this page was a useful service that I used myself and I think may be useful to other people like me. Since you Christians love everyone and want to invite them to Christianity, I think you would have even more motive to maintain a page like this.

Anyway, there was good data collected from some source to make the old page. With this data, I would make a usable page. I would make the page and data behind it open source so that anyone could update it. If someone wants to get me this data, I can do the programming. If not, this thread is just another of my rants against the modern world.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Franklin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:16 pm I made the above post for 2 reasons. First is as a small example of why I hate modern humanity, an example that most here should be familiar with. I don't expect Christians to agree with me but at least you can understand my reasons. Everything is decaying like this. People are doing everything in the their power to make everything worse. The Church Finder page was recently updated, and was made worse.

Second, this page was a useful service that I used myself and I think may be useful to other people like me. Since you Christians love everyone and want to invite them to Christianity, I think you would have even more motive to maintain a page like this.

Anyway, there was good data collected from some source to make the old page. With this data, I would make a usable page. I would make the page and data behind it open source so that anyone could update it. If someone wants to get me this data, I can do the programming. If not, this thread is just another of my rants against the modern world.
If you hate people so much, why are you wasting so much of your time trying to seek them out? Most misanthropes such as yourself would go live off the grid someplace and not spend so much time and effort trying to connect with others.

In any event, I think you are wasting your time seeking out conservative Mennonite groups to share in your hatred of humanity. There may be other people other there who share in your hate, but I don't think you will find them among Mennonites, conservative or otherwise.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Ken wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:42 pm If you hate people so much, why are you wasting so much of your time trying to seek them out? Most misanthropes such as yourself would go live off the grid someplace and not spend so much time and effort trying to connect with others.

In any event, I think you are wasting your time seeking out conservative Mennonite groups to share in your hatred of humanity. There may be other people other there who share in your hate, but I don't think you will find them among Mennonites, conservative or otherwise.
Normally I wouldn't respond to Ken, but I think this is an important question.

I don't hate all people, just most. And I am absolutely not seeking out people who share my hatred of humanity, I am just seeking good people. A good person doesn't have to agree with my views on anything, all they have to do is to make the world a better place. The vast majority of modern humanity is bad because they make the world worse.

I don't hate most people on this forum. But this forum is the only place on the internet where this is true. Everywhere else on the internet, I hate at least 90% of the people. This is why I come to this forum.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:29 am The more conservative people don’t use Internet and thus don’t see value in putting things online.
i’m encouraged by this.
it’s inconvenient for we who are accustomed to instant+“complete” access to everything.
but, it’s encouraging to know some continue in old ways that work very well, and, in the event of power failures .. or cost-prohibitive power, some will not be overly affected, and might provide models for others.

my perception is, once integrated into and accustomed to the life, communication is efficient and sufficient.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Franklin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:16 pm I made the above post for 2 reasons. First is as a small example of why I hate modern humanity, an example that most here should be familiar with. I don't expect Christians to agree with me but at least you can understand my reasons. Everything is decaying like this. People are doing everything in the their power to make everything worse. The Church Finder page was recently updated, and was made worse.

The data you reference on the Pilgrim site is simply the CLP data in an online form. The data comes from Christian Light Publications, and, in general only includes churches that are a part of what they see as their constituency. These groups in general will be plain enough not to have television, wedding rings and would not support political involvement. It does not include BMA, MCUSA,AEMC or similar groups, but generally includes everything from Keystone to Eastern, and their Beachey counterparts. For a variety of reasons it does not include "Church of God in Christ, Mennonite" or Holdeman churches. You can buy the directory here in print form:

https://christianlight.org/church/menno ... -directory

Anyone with a larger database simply will not release it due to the marketing and security concerns of such a release. I support this position.

Judas Maccabeus
0 x
:hug:
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

You can also get an electronic version of the CLP Directory.

https://christianlight.org/mennonite-ch ... al-edition
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"