Email to Text - Universal extension

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Email to Text - Universal extension

Post by Ernie »

I would like to send messages to cell phones from an email account. However, I don't want to determine which carrier the recipient is using as shown here.
https://mfitzp.io/list-of-email-to-sms-gateways/

Is there any extension that will work/convert for all mobile providers?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Email to Text - Universal extension

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote:I would like to send messages to cell phones from an email account. However, I don't want to determine which carrier the recipient is using as shown here.

What about the Google groups and the members set their notices to individual messages sent to email? That's something we use among ourselves.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:I would like to send messages to cell phones from an email account. However, I don't want to determine which carrier the recipient is using as shown here.

No.
0 x
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

What about getting a voip number from voip.ms or a similar company that supports SMS?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

You might try this option.
https://www.textmagic.com/email-to-sms/
A little expensive maybe - 4 cents per outbound text (inbound is free).
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

electro-wiz wrote:What about getting a voip number from voip.ms or a similar company that supports SMS?
These work well from a web interface, but are generally designed to resist being used to send out large amounts of SMS in an automated fashion, and are designed to resist being used to build a "do it yourself" email to SMS gateway.

There are some open-source gateways that have a large list of providers and try to dispatch based upon the provider they guess the end customer has.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:
electro-wiz wrote:What about getting a voip number from voip.ms or a similar company that supports SMS?
These work well from a web interface, but are generally designed to resist being used to send out large amounts of SMS in an automated fashion, and are designed to resist being used to build a "do it yourself" email to SMS gateway.

There are some open-source gateways that have a large list of providers and try to dispatch based upon the provider they guess the end customer has.
I have a voip.ms number and text messages are free. But the SMS service is still in beta, and they don't seem to be getting much done with it. The support fellow I talked with told me to email their team with any suggestions to try to apply a bit of pressure to get it done. At this point they will cut you off if you try to do marketing with it, since it's free. Their price will be reasonable, but who knows when you can do it.

I checked RingCentral, and my account with them doesn't allow outside text messages, but it also said that my supervisor can change that. So you should be able to set your RingCentral account to do this. I didn't spend much time on it, but it looks like you can separate phone numbers with commas, so that might be worth a try.
0 x