Programming for Mennonites?

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Programming for Mennonites?

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:35 pmI haven't read it, but I don't disagree that technology can be used by a totalitarian state to do evil. That's not what Franklin is arguing -- he's saying that the code itself is evil because it's been made by evil people.
I would actually agree with Franklin that nothing is really "value neutral". (This is something the left is into as well; in the left-wing mindset, the only evil is racism, so they are currently making arguments that even mathematics is racist.) But even something as simple as mathematics may not be value neutral. It should be judged by the effect it has on people and the values of the people producing it. A rotten well cannot produce clean water.
0 x
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Post by Franklin »

This thread is somewhat old, but I have since made a website explaining my views on programming. In case anyone is interested, it is here:

http://www.reactionary.software/

I will try to promote this to Muslims, Mennonites, and maybe Russians. I can't think of any other group that this would appeal to.
0 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

I want to post another update. I have given up promoting good programming and have concluded that humanity is almost entirely evil like in the time of Noah, and God should simply wipe them out. As far as I can tell, only Arkians and traditional Anabaptists shouldn't be wiped out. This is based on my recent experience with modern software, all of which is horrible. I was recently banned from a Muslim programmers group for saying that modern programming is evil, so I would say that Muslims are also hopeless.

I continue to write software to address my needs since modern software is unusable. My latest example is JavaScript drag and drop which is a good simple example of what I mean for anyone here who knows JavaScript.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Franklin wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:06 pm I want to post another update. I have given up promoting good programming and have concluded that humanity is almost entirely evil like in the time of Noah, and God should simply wipe them out. As far as I can tell, only Arkians and traditional Anabaptists shouldn't be wiped out. This is based on my recent experience with modern software, all of which is horrible. I was recently banned from a Muslim programmers group for saying that modern programming is evil, so I would say that Muslims are also hopeless.

I continue to write software to address my needs since modern software is unusable. My latest example is JavaScript drag and drop which is a good simple example of what I mean for anyone here who knows JavaScript.
Most anything decent and reliable - with simple function, can be done in Bash. Totally ethical and simple.
You should make a *nix OS.
0 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Chris wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:57 pm Most anything decent and reliable - with simple function, can be done in Bash. Totally ethical and simple.
You should make a *nix OS.
Thanks for the feedback. I like Bash as a shell and listed it in my list of good software. I like a lot of unix ideas, but unix was designed for minicomputers that had many users, not personal computers. No good OS was designed for personal computers because modern culture was already depraved when personal computers became widely used. TempleOS has the right idea. But I think Java-based OS with unix ideas but without the multi-user stuff would make the most sense.

But I am not going to write it. In fact I have given up writing good software at all because modern people are too depraved to recognize anything that is good. I did write a lot of good open-source software in the past, but I now only program for money.
0 x