Windows 11

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Windows 11

Post by Ken »

My new laptop came with Windows 11. All my work computers are still Windows 10 and likely will remain so for a long time.

It was annoying having to figure out how to put things back to how I liked them in Windows 10 but beyond that...shrug. If it is better at fending off malware than previous versions of Windows that will be a good thing. The icons are uglier but I guess that is the more modern look.

Pretty much everything I do on Windows is just productivity apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat). Every file is either stored on Google Drive (for work) or DropBox (for home) so I don't even use the hard drives of computers much anymore except to mirror cloud storage. The OS I am using doesn't really get in the way one way or the other.

My old Asus laptop finally croaked. Last week I picked up a mid-range Lenovo on sale at Costco and it was remarkably fast and easy to migrate to a new computer. Just downloaded Chrome, MS Office, Acrobat, and Quicken and was good to go. About 95% faster than the last time I bought a new computer. All my cloud files synced up easily and Chrome remembered all my settings and bookmarks.

I don't use OneDrive and I found the persistent attempts to get me to switch over to OneDrive when I was setting it up to be a bit annoying. But now that I'm no longer running setups it isn't bothering me about that anymore.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr