Windows 11

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Windows 11

Post by Neto »

Anyone using it?

This is a thread for bashing or defending Windows 11.

Working on my first lock-down *attempt* in this new travesty called an operating system. I haven't seen anything I LIKE about it yet. They carried over lots of the nasties introduced for OS 10, and added some new ones. Do you like the old-style right click drop-down list in File Explorer (for WIN 7 users, Windows Explorer)? Gone. Now they put some things they want you to like best in the first level, and if you want to access the stuff you REALLY want, you guessed it, another click. Like the menu bar in File Explorer? Gone. Now it's that sort of illiterate picture/icon mess. [It was bad enough how they cut it down from the old-style FUNCTIONAL menu bar in WIN 7 (with emphasis on WIN), but even OS 10 was more user friendly than the new mess.] Like to be able to set auto logon? Well, that was already gone in OS 10. There's other nasties they did as well, but this is just for starters. ;)

Most of this stuff cane be fixed, by the way - Hurray for Registry hacking.... :dance:

Here's the theme song for Microsoft ("There was an old lady who swollowed a fly"):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApmEM9-xA2c
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Windows 11

Post by JimFoxvog »

My old computer won't upgrade to Windows 11, so I'll see how long I can keep with Windows 10. The Classic Shell makes 10 fairly decent for me; maybe such shell will be developed for 11.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I still have a computer with XP and 7 on it. I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 11 and would very likely downgrade it or switch to Linux.
Windows 11 requires a live connection for installing from what I heard as well as a Microsoft profile to log in.
Microsoft is advertising on Windows 10, I assume it will be worse on 11. Windows advertisement also include LGBTQ propaganda. I see no practical reason to be in the first wave of upgrades as its going to have many teething issues still.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Neto

Post by Neto »

Soloist wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:12 pm I still have a computer with XP and 7 on it. I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 11 and would very likely downgrade it or switch to Linux.
Windows 11 requires a live connection for installing from what I heard as well as a Microsoft profile to log in.
Microsoft is advertising on Windows 10, I assume it will be worse on 11. Windows advertisement also include LGBTQ propaganda. I see no practical reason to be in the first wave of upgrades as its going to have many teething issues still.
I also have an XP computer (actually, we also have a laptop with Windows 98 SE on it, but haven't used it for a very long time). I keep the XP Dell because I have both hardware (very expensive stuff) and software that doesn't run in Win 7 at all, or poorly. My main computer (this one) is Win 7. But as a system builder, I've been forced to learn to cope with OS 10, and now I got stuck with working on OS 11. What happened was a customer wanted an HP laptop, so I specifically ordered it with OS 10 Pro. That was Aug 18th. HP delayed so long (due to components shortages) that when it came early this month, it had OS 11 on it. I could have wiped it and installed 10, but I would have had to purchase a license for it, and so I had to make do. I'm trying to sell this business, and thought I could do it before the 11 thing came up and bit me, but it didn't happen that way. Now I have lots of hours of work invested in developing the configuration for locking down OS 11. So I'm stuck with working on them, just to recoop some of this extra time.

Just this morning my wife's iphone had a rather threatening note about accepting an update. Something like "If you don't want this update, then you will need to return the phone." (I have a Google Pixel cell phone, and I am constantly bothered with the updates, but none have had that threatening tone.) I walk around through the house at night - when all of the lights should be off - and there are LED lights on everywhere. The cook stove can now be monitored or turned on or off over the internet, if you get the app on your phone. Etc. etc. I sometimes really wish for the life in the village, where when you turned off the single small light that ran off of an auto battery (charged by a couple of what would now be considered very small solar panels), it was totally dark. We could see the stars there, satellites, and the 'light pollution' from Manaus, around 300 miles away. My life has been invaded by technology.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

Soloist wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:12 pm I still have a computer with XP and 7 on it. I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 11 and would very likely downgrade it or switch to Linux.
I haven't tried this, but saw this article this morning.

https://hothardware.com/news/windows-11 ... ion-bypass
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Neto wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:50 am

Likely works, but the same article points out Microsoft is actively trying to stop those efforts.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Soloist wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:54 pm
Neto wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:50 am

Likely works, but the same article points out Microsoft is actively trying to stop those efforts.
Yes, they probably have a team who monitors the internet for "work-arounds", tests them, and then reports to a team who plugs those holes. But there are Registry modifications/hacks that I've been using on OS 10, and most of them have not stopped working. Windows 10 was "the last version of Windows" (they lyingly said), and then when the news leaked out about Windows 11, I intended to never mess with it. but now I've already been forced to by this last job. So now I already have many hours of work invested in it, so here goes. I did download the ISO file, but it's over 5 GB, so it won't fit on a DVD anymore (I assume). I know that DVDs are considered rather obsolete, but they DO talk both options (USB flash & DVD). And BlueRay is not exactly popular, either, is it? (Reminds me of the Zip Discs, which a lot of people thought were going to replace the floppies, but they faded away. I had a SCSI zip drive, and there are still zip disks laying around here, but the drive failed long ago.)
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Neto wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:23 am
Yes, they probably have a team who monitors the internet for "work-arounds", tests them, and then reports to a team who plugs those holes. But there are Registry modifications/hacks that I've been using on OS 10, and most of them have not stopped working. Windows 10 was "the last version of Windows" (they lyingly said), and then when the news leaked out about Windows 11, I intended to never mess with it. but now I've already been forced to by this last job. So now I already have many hours of work invested in it, so here goes. I did download the ISO file, but it's over 5 GB, so it won't fit on a DVD anymore (I assume). I know that DVDs are considered rather obsolete, but they DO talk both options (USB flash & DVD). And BlueRay is not exactly popular, either, is it? (Reminds me of the Zip Discs, which a lot of people thought were going to replace the floppies, but they faded away. I had a SCSI zip drive, and there are still zip disks laying around here, but the drive failed long ago.)
I did USB installs for both of my Windows 7s, and both of my Windows 10s. Pretty easy to do and the guides are easy. Computers are shipping without dvd drives at this point on a regular occasion.
0 x
AndyS
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndyS »

Yes, I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 pretty much the first day it was released. I like it and it has worked well for me. No compatibility issues or anything with my existing software or hardware.

So far as using it without an internet connection I am not sure. I never used mine without a connection but you could download the ISO installer and install it offline. The security options are very similar to Windows 10 so I think at least at this point it would be possible to have a login without an internet connection. However, the login security is definitely becoming more and more tied to a Microsoft account or some other internet based sign on system. One of these days though I imagine it will become impossible to use without an internet connection and account sort of like almost all Apple and Google mobile devices are these days.
1 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

AndyS wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:52 pm Yes, I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 pretty much the first day it was released. I like it and it has worked well for me. No compatibility issues or anything with my existing software or hardware.

So far as using it without an internet connection I am not sure. I never used mine without a connection but you could download the ISO installer and install it offline. The security options are very similar to Windows 10 so I think at least at this point it would be possible to have a login without an internet connection. However, the login security is definitely becoming more and more tied to a Microsoft account or some other internet based sign on system. One of these days though I imagine it will become impossible to use without an internet connection and account sort of like almost all Apple and Google mobile devices are these days.
I did download an ISO file a month ago, but I haven't tried to do an off-line installation yet. (I was going to burn the ISO to a DVD, but it's too large. Will have to use a flash drive, or a double density DVD, or possibly a BlueRay disk.)

I suppose everything is going toward "pay to play". I heard recently that some auto manufacturer has a system with the remote start key fobs that after the first year or so (maybe three years?), if you do not pay to "renew your subscription", it will stop working.
0 x