Pilot. ATC. Fear. Abiding faith.

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Pilot. ATC. Fear. Abiding faith.

Post by temporal1 »

electro-wiz wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:39 pm Umm the FAA does not investigate airplane crashes. That is the duty of the NTSB.
But complete silence from government accident investigations is quit normal. Likely we will get a completed report from NTSB in about 2 years.

But we can likely draw some conclusions from looking at their adsb track and the radar at the time of the accident.
They were south of a line of thunderstorms, which was between them and their destination, they saw what looked like a gap between 2 cells and attempted to go between. Thunderstorms tend to be very unpredictable, quite possibly he had done things like this before without any problems...

Very sad, praying for the family as they deal with their loss.
It's accidents like that make me keep me awake at night... :cry:
1973 Delta 723 / Boston
:( Any quick memory brings back the shock that spread thruout Vermont and New England.

We were young, living+working in Vermont when this awful crash happened in Boston. It seemed everyone knew someone on that flight. We had a vivacious young friend, a UVM college student, Catholic, lots of siblings. Her father and a young sister, on her first flight, were both killed.

What struck me was how immediately+irrevocably lives are changed following unexpected deadly crashes.
Our friend’s life changed 180 degrees, her “plans+hopes” of years of her young life turned “on a dime,” it was so thorough.

This was happening to hundreds of others at the same time, resulting from this one deadly crash.

Years prior, when my grandfather died suddenly from a heart attack, “the world” as i knew it changed dramatically, to never be the same. He left 9 children, their spouses and children, all changed. These people were pretty much my world in those years.

i don’t think we’re very good at understanding how we fit into other people’s lives around us. and, we don’t anticipate what changes happen if we’re not there. we expect things to remain pretty much as they were. i’m not sure it’s ever like that.

1973-2022 / This video is the first time i’ve seen any sort of reenactment or analysis of that short routine flight:

Burlington VT - Manchester NH - Boston MA

3 Greens - Aviation Safety / Trying To Land Blind | Delta 723 / 16min
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

My very own flight experience. :D Delta SEA-LAX-IND
Not scary! :wave:
ohio jones wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:10 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:18 am
ohio jones wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:45 pm Wow! He did crank it up to 650+ mph for about an hour, with a high of 682 mph :shock: for a brief moment over Ft. Garland, CO. That is just a bit faster than Boeing's "typical cruise speed" of 522 mph. Must have had a serious tailwind. Taxi time to takeoff was 16 minutes compared to a scheduled 10 minutes, so that's not the reason I initially assumed.
will i know in my lifetime how you were able to determine these details?
The lifetime of free history on flightaware.com is a week or so, after that you'll need a subscription.
My son’s question about flightaware:
“Do they give groundspeed vs airspeed data? That would tell you about the tailwind theory.”

- - - - - - -

anecdote:
because we arrived 45 min early (38 officially) - i waited in the airport for about 2 hours for daylight before taking the shuttle to my car parked (out in a field). mostly because it’s older, in case of trouble starting or something. it started right up!

this was an experiment. i’ve never taken a redeye, nor paid for parking. it worked out.
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:01 pm My son’s question about flightaware:
“Do they give groundspeed vs airspeed data? That would tell you about the tailwind theory.”
The plane broadcasts its position (latitude, longitude, altitude) via ATS-B in roughly 30-second intervals, so the speed is presumably calculated from that. I plotted two points on the map an hour apart, and the distance approximated the average reported speed.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Related to air travel: Navigating airports

TSA PreCheck, Global Entry, NEXUS And CLEAR® Plus: What You Need To Know
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-c ... d-to-know/

i have none of these. i have a current passport.
i hope to fly west in July-August.

i’m not planning international travel, but Canada is a possibility, probably not this trip.

:arrow: TSA PreCheck??

“TSA Working With CLEAR To Launch Joint Application For PreCheck”
BY LUKAS SOUZA
PUBLISHED APR 6, 2023
“At the moment, no date has been defined for a joint-application launch”
https://simpleflying.com/tsa-working-wi ... -precheck/

“These 7 U.S. Airports Allow You To Skip Long Security Lines With Advanced Reservations”
https://www.traveloffpath.com/these-7-u ... ervations/

Los Angeles International Airport, California

Minneapolis−Saint Paul International Airport, Minnesota

John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York

Newark Liberty International Airport, New Jersey

Orlando International Airport, Florida

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, Arizona

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Washington
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

My global entry expired and there are no appointments for the next 12 months open.
My CLEAR will expire soon too.

My United PlusPoints expire next month. If you’re flying on United and want a nicer seat and free baggage, you should contact me.

Can’t think of any plans I have to go anywhere by plane anytime soon.
1 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:37 pm My global entry expired and there are no appointments for the next 12 months open.
If you apply for renewal before expiration, the expiration is extended for 24 months. Sometimes they renew without an appointment; my renewal didn't require one.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:18 am
Josh wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:37 pm My global entry expired and there are no appointments for the next 12 months open.
If you apply for renewal before expiration, the expiration is extended for 24 months. Sometimes they renew without an appointment; my renewal didn't require one.
Mine required an appointment to renew, but no appointments were available, so it got magically extended 24 months. Those 24 months have now run out.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Many thanks.
(i think) for now TSA Precheck makes sense.

my grdaughter travels with me some, she’s 15. i believe she can fly with me, no extra application or cost?
i want to confirm that. (they state “parent/guardian.”)

if i apply today or soon, i might have it before later in July. :D

DHS / “Trusted Traveler Programs”
“Welcome to the official U.S. Department of Homeland Security website, where travelers can apply for Trusted Traveler Programs. Our programs allow members to use expedited lanes at the U.S. airports, and when crossing international borders.”
https://ttp.dhs.gov/

Reading more .. maybe she should get a TSA Precheck, too. To avoid some complications.
The waiting period for Global Entry is much longer.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Today .. my TSA application appointment at a nearby airport.
i was surprised it wasn’t in a US POST OFFICE.

Because i have a certain credit card, i may be reimbursed for the $78 fee. (i just learned.)
No annual fees on the card, either.

TSA PreCheck®, Global Entry & Capital One
Enjoy a smoother process at the airport and receive up to a $100 statement credit with Capital One.
https://www.capitalone.com/learn-grow/m ... ry-credit/

Various cards offer reimbursement:

tsa.gov / Credit Cards featuring TSA PreCheck®
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/credit-cards-offer
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:06 pm Today .. my TSA application appointment at a nearby airport.
i was surprised it wasn’t in a US POST OFFICE.
Don't give them any ideas!
1 x