Satellite boosting help

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
violet
Affiliation:

Satellite boosting help

Post by violet »

I got a job :D

But, they will only hire me if I can fix my internet connection. In a ten minute interview I lost connection three times. I have satellite with HughesNet and I am in the deep country. I don't have another option. (I know about starlink but not an option for me yet)

I need to boost my internet and not loose video connection to get the job.

would an AUS router and ethernet cable do the job? what should I get? Would the gaming ones work better?

(is it a loss cause and I should give up on the hope of this?)
0 x
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Re: Satellite boosting help

Post by electro-wiz »

You are asking questions that might have a number of different causes. The short answer is that yes, it is possible to get a satellite internet connection working reliably. Though it will have a much higher ping than any other internet service which makes it less desirable for phone calls, video chat or any other real time usage.

I think your idea of connecting your computer directly to the satellite via a network cable would be a good idea. Any wireless connection that you can remove out of the setup is better. A new router is unlikely to help.

Perhaps the least easy to fix, but the most likely problem... is your satellite focused correctly, Not trees or anything in the way? There is likely a way that you can log into the satellite and get a signal strength readout.

Do you have any other computers connected to this internet connection? Is it possible that one of the other computers is using bandwidth?
0 x
violet
Affiliation:

Post by violet »

thank you for the help.

at the time that I am needing to use the video link my computer is the only one being used.

I live on the side a mountain so most likely, somewhere, yes, there are obstacles.

So, you do not think I need a router and/or a new modem? Would just using an ethernet cable do the job?
0 x
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

Using an Ethernet cable would ensure that you are not having a communication problem between the satellite and your computer. It is an easy first step, but in the event that is not the issue, and likely it is not it will not make any difference.

As far as the router, do you currently have one? I'm not that familiar with the current setup of satellites, but I thought that satellites typically have a built in router. There is not value in putting 2 routers behind each other.
0 x
violet
Affiliation:

Post by violet »

I don't know.

I think I have a modem. I only have one "box" in the house. I best figure it out....
0 x
violet
Affiliation:

Post by violet »

I'm trying to figure out the readout that you mentioned now...

I just conducted a speed test.

download 42.09 mbps

upload 2.88 mbps

?
0 x
violet
Affiliation:

Post by violet »

yes. I have a modem.

wondering if that would need an upgrade, or that does not matter?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Satellite generally isn’t usable for phone conferences / video calls.

You might be able to join zoom etc calls from your phone tho and just use that.
0 x
violet
Affiliation:

Post by violet »

I wish Josh. I live in a dead zone.

=(

it is either I make the satellite work or I won't be able to take the job.

I am teaching English online, so I need it to be reliable. When it is reliable, it works great. I just get a few "lag areas" and loose connection. This morning I did not have an ethernet cable. I was on wifi.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

violet wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:05 am I wish Josh. I live in a dead zone.

=(

it is either I make the satellite work or I won't be able to take the job.

I am teaching English online, so I need it to be reliable. When it is reliable, it works great. I just get a few "lag areas" and loose connection. This morning I did not have an ethernet cable. I was on wifi.
I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but it won’t work enough to be an instructor on video conferences. Satellite simply isn’t reliable enough and has high latency.

You may be able to set up a cell phone antenna and use that; it’s a lot more complicated.
1 x