How to make a PDF non-viewable except with a link...

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

How to make a PDF non-viewable except with a link...

Post by Ernie »

How do I put a PDF on the web that is only viewable if someone has a link to it?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: How to make a PDF non-viewable except with a link...

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:04 pm How do I put a PDF on the web that is only viewable if someone has a link to it?
If you have something like Adobe Acrobat, I'm pretty sure that you can set the security so that it only opens with a password. HOWEVER, those passwords can be removed by opening the PDF in a browser. So I suspect it is something different that you are after.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:04 pm How do I put a PDF on the web that is only viewable if someone has a link to it?
You can share files via Google Drive that are only visible to someone with the link.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

mike wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:15 pm
You can share files via Google Drive that are only visible to someone with the link.
You can also do with Dropbox.
1 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Technically, every PDF on the web is this way.

If someone shares the link with someone else, do you want that person to be able to see it too?
2 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I don't want the text in a PDF or the PDF itself to show up on a Google search.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

Use a robots.txt file
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:03 pm I don't want the text in a PDF or the PDF itself to show up on a Google search.
In theory, a robots.txt file can prevent Google from indexing this, but won’t prevent anyone else from sharing and possibly indexing the link.

One thing you can do is periodically rename the file.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I'm not particularly concerned if others share the link to a PDF. I'm not worried about that as few people will share this link online or post it online.

But I don't want to make a PDF available online, and then google certain words in the PDF, only to have my PDF show up as one of the first items in a Google search.

I will try Google Drive.
0 x