network boosting

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

network boosting

Post by Soloist »

My garage is going to be my office. In a perfect world I'd have amazing AC/Heater but thats not happening any time soon. What I can try to fix is my network limitations.

My router broadcasting is a Gigaspire blast u6.1 and its near my front door. The garage is roughly 2-3 car lengths away and the desk is at the backside.
When the garage door is closed my signal drops substantially. My laptop can only handle 50mbps and I'd like to be getting at least 20mbps.
I tried putting an range extender by the garage door but it wasn't able to pick up the signal from the house. I'm trying to be a cheapskate otherwise I'd buy a bigger one. My question is if using this product https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J6 ... UTF8&psc=1 a simple usb antenna and connecting a coax to 10dBi positioned directly above the door pointed at the router in the house. Would this work well enough to get me a better signal or am I crazy?

(in retrospect, it might be cheaper to by the more expensive, but I'm curious now)
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: network boosting

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:07 am My garage is going to be my office. In a perfect world I'd have amazing AC/Heater but thats not happening any time soon. What I can try to fix is my network limitations.

My router broadcasting is a Gigaspire blast u6.1 and its near my front door. The garage is roughly 2-3 car lengths away and the desk is at the backside.
When the garage door is closed my signal drops substantially. My laptop can only handle 50mbps and I'd like to be getting at least 20mbps.
I tried putting an range extender by the garage door but it wasn't able to pick up the signal from the house. I'm trying to be a cheapskate otherwise I'd buy a bigger one. My question is if using this product https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J6 ... UTF8&psc=1 a simple usb antenna and connecting a coax to 10dBi positioned directly above the door pointed at the router in the house. Would this work well enough to get me a better signal or am I crazy?

(in retrospect, it might be cheaper to by the more expensive, but I'm curious now)
We have a big 3-story house. I had good luck swapping out my old WiFi for a 4-piece Google WiFi mesh system which is currently on sale at Costco: https://www.costco.com/google-wifi---ac ... 87553.html

It is four separate routers that you scatter about your house but they function as a single WiFi point just like the WiFi systems in a big school or university. Only one of them needs to be plugged into your source, the others all act as repeaters. I now have rock-solid WiFi in every corner of the house and yard. One hint if you daisy-chain off a cable modem with it's own built-in wifi is to turn that signal off in the settings so that the two systems don't interfere with each other.

Google Wifi has some neat phone-app features that let you do things like restrict content and usage time to individual devices so you can put your kids WiFi use on a schedule and have it automatically turn off to their devices when you want without turning off the whole system.

Before putting in the Google WiFi I messed around with various other booster systems and wasn't happy with any of them. They all created separate WiFi points, were glitchy and worked inconsistently. The Google system is far superior and much easier to configure and manage.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:58 am We have a big 3-story house. I had good luck swapping out my old WiFi for a 4-piece Google WiFi mesh system which is currently on sale at Costco: https://www.costco.com/google-wifi---ac ... 87553.html

It is four separate routers that you scatter about your house but they function as a single WiFi point just like the WiFi systems in a big school or university. Only one of them needs to be plugged into your source, the others all act as repeaters. I now have rock-solid WiFi in every corner of the house and yard. One hint if you daisy-chain off a cable modem with it's own built-in wifi is to turn that signal off in the settings so that the two systems don't interfere with each other.

Google Wifi has some neat phone-app features that let you do things like restrict content and usage time to individual devices so you can put your kids WiFi use on a schedule and have it automatically turn off to their devices when you want without turning off the whole system.

Before putting in the Google WiFi I messed around with various other booster systems and wasn't happy with any of them. They all created separate WiFi points, were glitchy and worked inconsistently. The Google system is far superior and much easier to configure and manage.
A mesh won't fix my problem unless it can transmit farther then the router itself which is a pretty high end router from what I could tell. That was the suggestion I first looked at, the distance between the garage and the house combined with signal blocking materials is too great for a mesh.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

What about just going old-school and running an ethernet cable from your main router in the house out to your garage? Get a waterproof cable and bury it, or whatever is most logical. Then you can either plug directly into your office computer or put in another WiFi router there.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:44 am What about just going old-school and running an ethernet cable from your main router in the house out to your garage? Get a waterproof cable and bury it, or whatever is most logical. Then you can either plug directly into your office computer or put in another WiFi router there.

I'd have to get permission from the landlord and then dig through my driveway. I briefly looked into using the powerline for my network, but it would end up costing too much. That's why I'm looking at wireless. The other options were not practical.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

We use a repeater at home that simply plugs into a receptacle. We had to experiment a bit with it. Got it at Walmart a few years ago.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I use the WIFI adapter you posted, or one similar. My boy's school laptop is just a little too far from the router and it does help. There is also directional antennas you can use to boost gain. You may have to search a little, but find one that mounts and has a cable to the computer to bring WIFI to it. I have considered that to get WIFI to my shed out back. Not done it yet. I decided not to open a repair shop, but flip a few houses instead.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Soloist wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:16 am
Ken wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:44 am What about just going old-school and running an ethernet cable from your main router in the house out to your garage? Get a waterproof cable and bury it, or whatever is most logical. Then you can either plug directly into your office computer or put in another WiFi router there.

I'd have to get permission from the landlord and then dig through my driveway. I briefly looked into using the powerline for my network, but it would end up costing too much. That's why I'm looking at wireless. The other options were not practical.
Could you string it aerially?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

nett wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:01 pm

Better not string a copper wire aerially. It would act as a lightening rod.

On second thought, maybe having one's computer equipment blown up would be a blessing in disguise?
0 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:16 pm
nett wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:01 pm

Better not string a copper wire aerially. It would act as a lightening rod.

On second thought, maybe having one's computer equipment blown up would be a blessing in disguise?
It would be insulated, weatherproof.
0 x