Docking Station or 7-in-1 Device

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Docking Station or 7-in-1 Device

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:41 pmBoth can be true Josh. The explosion in work-from-home can simultaneously increase DEMAND for these types of computer peripherals while pandemic-related supply-chain problems can disrupt SUPPLY. Both demand and supply distortions can cause shortages.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to create an argument about every single tangential point. This is a thread about docking stations not minivan transaxles or steaks.
You tend to spread misinformation and repeat it as fact with impunity; I happen to feel like it's worth pointing out when you do this.

Work-from-home does not stimulate additional demand for docking stations. My employer bought mine for me when I worked in their office. We ordered dozens of them.

When things transitioned to work-from-home, employees took turns going to the office to retrieve their docking stations. The exact same number of people continued to work using laptops, keyboards, etc. before work-from-home as after.

Perhaps a very tiny number of people use desktop computers, but that's not been the norm for a long time. The last time I regularly worked in an office, there were no desktops installed at all. Not a single one. Everyone had a fancy USB-C or Thunderbolt dock and a laptop.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Thanks for the helpful information so far. I don't know which model to buy.

I don't mind plugging my power cord into my computer separately from the docking station. I would like to be able to run two monitors.

Can someone show me a link for a unit for a Dell G5 5500 PC that I can get within a month?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:24 pm Thanks for the helpful information so far. I don't know which model to buy.

I don't mind plugging my power cord into my computer separately from the docking station. I would like to be able to run two monitors.

Can someone show me a link for a unit for a Dell G5 5500 PC that I can get within a month?
What kind of monitors do you have? That will affect how well they can hook up to your PC.

Is having 4K monitors important to you?

Here is the Elgato on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ2ATGK/ (that link comes directly from Elgato's website), most sellers claim they can get it to you buy August 5

Elgato has a cheaper $99 option but it won't be as convenient to hook up your speakers and has fewer ports. It can drive 2 monitors, one with HDMI and one with DisplayPort. You might have to buy a DisplayPort cable if you don't already have one. It only has 1 USB socket, you could put your keyboard there. This would be OK if you have a wireless mouse. https://www.elgato.com/en/dock/thunderbolt-3-mini
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:38 pm
Ernie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:24 pm Thanks for the helpful information so far. I don't know which model to buy.

What kind of monitors do you have? That will affect how well they can hook up to your PC.

Is having 4K monitors important to you?

Here is the Elgato on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ2ATGK/ (that link comes directly from Elgato's website), most sellers claim they can get it to you buy August 5

Elgato has a cheaper $99 option but it won't be as convenient to hook up your speakers and has fewer ports. It can drive 2 monitors, one with HDMI and one with DisplayPort. You might have to buy a DisplayPort cable if you don't already have one. It only has 1 USB socket, you could put your keyboard there. This would be OK if you have a wireless mouse. https://www.elgato.com/en/dock/thunderbolt-3-mini
Sorry but I don't know what 4k monitors are.
I have a 22" HP and a 24" Acer monitor.
Can you send me an Amazon link to the $99?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

The Elgato link you can click and buy directly. I would avoid buying from Amazon whenever possible.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:38 pm Here is the Elgato on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ2ATGK/ (that link comes directly from Elgato's website),
It says Mac or Ipad. Will it also work for PC?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:51 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:38 pm Here is the Elgato on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ2ATGK/ (that link comes directly from Elgato's website),
It says Mac or Ipad. Will it also work for PC?
It depends on your PC. If your PC has a Thunderbolt compatible port (it looks like a USB-C port), it will work.

What kind of laptop do you have?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I purchased the Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock, Dual 4K Support.

I am using one monitor presently. Monitor 2 has a nice display with nice readable font, and the laptop has its usual smaller font. (to the eye) When I switch to external monitor only, it makes the font size much smaller (to the eye) and when I try to increase the % view, it is not permitted as it is "greyed out".

Any tips on how to increase the "font size" on the external monitor only? (I know I am not using the right terminology here.)
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am I purchased the Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock, Dual 4K Support.

I am using one monitor presently. Monitor 2 has a nice display with nice readable font, and the laptop has its usual smaller font. (to the eye) When I switch to external monitor only, it makes the font size much smaller (to the eye) and when I try to increase the % view, it is not permitted as it is "greyed out".

Any tips on how to increase the "font size" on the external monitor only? (I know I am not using the right terminology here.)
If you go to your display settings (assuming you're using Windows), you can choose a resolution and then choose a percentage scale for each monitor. Adjust these until it looks right. For a 4K monitor I usually end up putting things at 200%.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:44 am
Ernie wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am I purchased the Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock, Dual 4K Support.

If you go to your display settings (assuming you're using Windows), you can choose a resolution and then choose a percentage scale for each monitor. Adjust these until it looks right. For a 4K monitor I usually end up putting things at 200%.
Thank you Josh.
0 x