Acronis True Image - Backup to NAS

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Acronis True Image - Backup to NAS

Post by Neto »

Installed Acronis True Image as a backup program (for complete system image backup). Created a mapped drive for a shared folder on the NAS, but Acronis doesn't 'see' the mapped drive. From what I've found so far on-line, it looks like there are a lot of possible issues that might be causing this. The thing is, I've done this before, although not for some years, and I'm quite rusty on it. The NAS is an IOSafe 214 running Synology DSM 6.2.

Any ideas what I should try? (I delivered the NAS back to the business today, so I now have no way of testing here. I didn't run a test with Acronis, because I don't have a license of my own, and didn't want to register it on my own computer. I just figured it would be simple once I had the shared drive set up and mapped.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Re: Acronis True Image - Backup to NAS

Post by Neto »

Still thinking about this, and still hoping for some input.

One more point of info that might be the cause: I mapped the shared folder on the NAS via log-in access to the NAS through Internet Explorer. The resulting mapped drive used the NAS' IP Address, not its Net BIOS Name, as I THINK I did it in a previous job.
Also, Acronis was installed on the OS 10 system, and the backup configuration attempt was done through the program, NOT through an Acronis DVD boot. (Same approach as I have always used.) BUT, the Acronis program MAY not have registered, and I also did not restart the system. (Windows likes to be restarted....)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

Does Acronis allow you to enter the network share information directly into the program, rather then saving a shared drive? I use Easeus Backup, which has that ability, and have found it to be more stable, plus it adds an extra layer of security, should the computer ever become infected with ransomware.
1 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

electro-wiz wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:53 am Does Acronis allow you to enter the network share information directly into the program, rather then saving a shared drive? I use Easeus Backup, which has that ability, and have found it to be more stable, plus it adds an extra layer of security, should the computer ever become infected with ransomware.
How would that look, typically? Something like the following? \\{Net BIOS Name}\{Shared Folder Name}
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Neto wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:20 am
electro-wiz wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:53 am Does Acronis allow you to enter the network share information directly into the program, rather then saving a shared drive? I use Easeus Backup, which has that ability, and have found it to be more stable, plus it adds an extra layer of security, should the computer ever become infected with ransomware.
How would that look, typically? Something like the following? \\{Net BIOS Name}\{Shared Folder Name}
That is how I always set up backups (I manage about 50 right now, mostly using ShadowProtect), by using the UNC paths as you show. I never map a drive.
1 x
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Post by electro-wiz »

Yes, then you enter and save your credential directly into the program. The other good thing about doing this, is if ever you get a ransomware attack in order to get to your backup, the attack would also need to attack your backup software, since that is the only place that has the credentials to write to the NAS drive.
2 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Just to let you'all know, I WILL give an update on this when I get back to this. I have been swamped with other work, the main guy I work with at that business was in Florida for a week or so, and we are also still observing as many precautions as possible, in consideration of the fact that our son (who lives with us) is still under-going cancer treatments for Acute Leukemia. We are scheduled for our 2nd Pfister vaccine on this coming Tuesday, so hoping that will allow us to relax a bit more. (Otherwise we wait until his treatments are finished, possibly as late as mid to late May, which would mean missing communion again.)
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

After a week had passed since our 2nd vaccine, I returned to the business where I was doing the Acronis configuration. The NetBIOS name approach worked like a charm. The other issue now is that because this customer is using QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 2021 (which is a subscription), I have to leave the Proxy settings open so that the subscription can be verified within each 14 day period. (I am doing this by use of a third part program that encrypts the Admin password in a file, then accesses it through a batch file to run the program as Admin. They do this only to verify the subscription - otherwise they operate totally in the non-Admin account.) I also use this same program to run Acronis, because they have not bothered to create a program-specific Admin, as they should have. (All of the configuration tasks must be carried out as the Windows Admin.) And when I lock the Proxy down in the non-Admin account, some program throws a connection error up on the screen every little bit - so often you cannot do any typing.

And, here's the other "new" issue. Acronis now has a built-in link to their website, and you can go on to other sites (such as you tube, FB, etc) from there. Programs such as Fed-Ex Ship Manager also have these built-in capabilities, and so now I'm trying to find out if i can hack their system enough to block this. This incessant push toward internet use is driving me crazy.
0 x