Best way to get a new business email address?

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Best way to get a new business email address?

Post by RZehr »

Looking for advise on the best way to get a new business email. We want something like: name@companyname.com
I don't know how to do this, and am supposed to figure it out. Do I need a website to do this? If so, what is easiest place to go to do that?

Thanks.
0 x
electro-wiz
Affiliation:

Re: Best way to get a new business email address?

Post by electro-wiz »

You don't need a website, you need a domain name. Most places that allow you to register domain names also offer email hosting, typically for free for one or 2 accounts.

I use domains.google for all my domains, I they offer email hosting (free I think).
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I use Google Workspace. https://workspace.google.com/ It's a paid business service. I own the domain name separately from Google, but I set up the settings on my website server to let GW to manage my email.

If you don't have a website or domain name, and don't want one, I think this service would get you the domain name.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I use http://www.hover.com for all my domains. They charge about $16 per year for the domain name, $5 per year for email forwards (receive/forward only), and $20 per year for email send and receive. Some cheaper domain companies will forward your contact information to a whole slew of website developers and you will get many calls and many emails. Be careful.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Mayberry
Affiliation: Truly Conservative

Post by Mayberry »

We use NameCheap.com. Buy a standard domain name for $9 to $15/yr. Then purchase a basic web hosting account for about $34/yr. You don't have to actually have a web site, but with the hosting purchase you are allowed to have 50 email accounts that are set up by you via their cPanel app where you add and subtract email accounts as you please. We've used them for several years without any problems.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Thanks. Does any of these site email options work or do not work, with iPhones? Or with Outlook? If so is it simple and straightforward or difficult to set up?
0 x
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

RZehr wrote:Thanks. Does any of these site email options work or do not work, with iPhones? Or with Outlook? If so is it simple and straightforward or difficult to set up?
Email will work with any email client, like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. so that is not a problem.

The first step is to find a good domain name to represent your business. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds uses the domain name "rareseeds.com". It is short and descriptive of what they do, and helps people find their site. The Domain Name is the number one search term that Google uses to find your site.

You can use a domain name that is the company name, like "BakerCreek.com", or one that is descriptive, like "RareSeeds.com". If people are looking specifically for your business name, and it is available, that would be good.

Here is where you can lookup domain names:

https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-name-search

Look at the domain names of your competitors for ideas. See if they are using their business name, or a descriptive name, for their business domain name.

The domain name you purchase for your company will probably be a "forever" purchase. Once people start linking to your domain name, it will be the main "storefront" for the company. So pick a good one. It will also go at the top of all of your letterheads, your storefront, just everything.

Don't use dashes, and try to keep the domain name as short as possible. It should be something that is easy to type, and hard to misspell. Something you can tell people over the phone, and they will find it on the web.

You can purchase a domain name, and host a website, or just emails, from the same company. GoDaddy does all of this, but there may be cheaper alternatives as the other people on the forum have suggested. GoDaddy is what I use, and I have over 40 domain names.

Once you get your domain name, GoDaddy or one of these other companies will help you with the details on how to set up your email. It is not hard.

All you have to do on the GoDaddy site is to setup your email name and password.

All you have to do on your client software on your PC is to indicate the SMTP server (email server at Godaddy) and the email address and password you setup on the GoDaddy site. You can talk to GoDaddy over the phone for help.

Once you get it setup, send yourself a "test message" to make sure the email works.

I hope this helps you. If other people on the forum can improve what I have said, that would be great!
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Thanks. It was decided to just use existing personal emails for the time being. The domain that was wanted, is for sale at a price that we are not ready to pay just yet. Probably will some time in the future.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:Thanks. It was decided to just use existing personal emails for the time being. The domain that was wanted, is for sale at a price that we are not ready to pay just yet. Probably will some time in the future.
Google for business and Microsoft Office 365 are both easy to use options.

In my own business, we use personal emails instead of a company domain, which seems to be an ongoing trend (along with using email less and less).
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

How does that work if someone quits or is fired? How does the company access and retain critical information?
0 x