Windows 10

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Windows 10

Post by Neto »

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57443598

When OS 10 came out, Microsoft said that Windows 10 is the last Windows. Ha. Ha.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Neto wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:50 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57443598

When OS 10 came out, Microsoft said that Windows 10 is the last Windows. Ha. Ha.
According to the article they are updating Widows 10 as they normally do with a new version. But they just won't be calling it "Windows" anymore. Which seems to me a distinction without a difference.

It also seems a stupid move as they have two or three decades invested into the Window brand and why throw that all away. But maybe they figure a fresh name will rejuvenate the brand or something. Like Esso switching to Exxon back in the day. Or Dodge Trucks switching to Ram.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:23 am I thought faxes went out of style with Windows 3.1 and 5-1/4" floppies.
Medical profession still lives by them. Doctors offices fax medical records back and forth because a lot of the different electronic medical records systems are incompatible with each other and there is higher patient confidentiality with faxes than with emails which can be forwarded, copied, saved etc.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:14 pm
ohio jones wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:23 am I thought faxes went out of style with Windows 3.1 and 5-1/4" floppies.
Medical profession still lives by them. Doctors offices fax medical records back and forth because a lot of the different electronic medical records systems are incompatible with each other and there is higher patient confidentiality with faxes than with emails which can be forwarded, copied, saved etc.

Yup... I send faxes weekly. Such a pain...
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Soloist wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:33 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:14 pm

Yup... I send faxes weekly. Such a pain...
try daily, maybe even hourly. i sit right beside the fax machine.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

justme wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:59 pm
try daily, maybe even hourly. i sit right beside the fax machine.
Well... of course you do. How else would you communicate as a hermit?

I've got three patients, generally they are fairly stable for unstable patients.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
justme

Post by justme »

Soloist wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:04 pm Well... of course you do. How else would you communicate as a hermit?
oof!
i think you might be right :clap:
0 x
justme

Post by justme »

print out documents, so that i can fax them. or walk over to the good fax machine where i can email those same documents to myself, so that i can save them to my computer, so that i can then attach them online for the prior auth request. rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, all day long. oh, and sit on the phone on hold, your call is important to us, please continue to hold. riiiiiggght.
1 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Ken wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:12 pm
Neto wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:50 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57443598

According to the article they are updating Widows 10 as they normally do with a new version. But they just won't be calling it "Windows" anymore. Which seems to me a distinction without a difference.

It also seems a stupid move as they have two or three decades invested into the Window brand and why throw that all away. But maybe they figure a fresh name will rejuvenate the brand or something. Like Esso switching to Exxon back in the day. Or Dodge Trucks switching to Ram.
It wasn't clear to me what Microsoft actually said or implied as to what the new name might be. The quoted portion was presumably direct from MS, but then the rest sort of implied that the question was whether it would be called "Windows 11", or "Windows" plus some other name. Some other sources suggest it might be called "Windows Sun Valley" or "Sun Valley Windows".
But since they generally only get it remotely right every other OS, this one will likely be a dud - at least if they keep up with their current trend. (Windows 3.1 was pretty decent, then there was something else, I think, then 95 and 98. 98 wasn't very good, but 98SE was a big improvement. Then there was Windows 2000 and the Millennium Edition, neither of which I used. I HAD 3.1, but mostly bypassed it with a batch file I'd written that let me choose which I wanted on each start up, either DOS or Win 3.1. Then I had 95 briefly before upgrading to 98SE. Then when we moved back to the States in 2003 I bought an XP Dell, and downgraded back to 98SE until I started using flash drives, then went back to XP. Skipped Visa, and went to Win 7, which, I think, is the best OS they've ever produced. I still use it, and also still have that old Dell, running XP, for programs that don't work in Win 7. Now I build OS 10 systems for others, but don't use it personally. They trash something with about every major update, and you have to figure out how to fix it yourself. It used to be a big no-no to mess around in the Registry, but now you have to, just to maintain some sort of continuity. Just my opinion based on my own experience, of course.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

justme wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:12 pm .... oh, and sit on the phone on hold, your call is important to us, please continue to hold. riiiiiggght.
Ever seen that deal (I guess they call it a meme) that shows a guy on the phone, hearing that message, only it continues "... please continue to hold until your call is no longer important to you."
1 x