Windows 10

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Windows 10

Post by Neto »

I decided that rather than ask this in the other thread, I'd start a new one.

I'm wondering if others miss any particular features there were taken out since Windows 7. For example, the gadgets (Was that already gone in 8?). Anyone miss the clock/calendar gadget? (Or is there one in Win 10 somewhere else? Although I started playing with 10 beta about a year before it came out, here it is almost a year & a half after launch date, and I don't really know much about it.) If so, what is the best way to add those gadgets back in?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Windows 10

Post by lesterb »

Neto wrote:I decided that rather than ask this in the other thread, I'd start a new one.

I'm wondering if others miss any particular features there were taken out since Windows 7. For example, the gadgets (Was that already gone in 8?). Anyone miss the clock/calendar gadget? (Or is there one in Win 10 somewhere else? Although I started playing with 10 beta about a year before it came out, here it is almost a year & a half after launch date, and I don't really know much about it.) If so, what is the best way to add those gadgets back in?
See this site... http://www.intowindows.com/desktop-gadg ... indows-10/
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

That looks like the one I had been looking at as well. But I'm also testing to see if I can just copy the ones people like back into the mounted disk image, so that they install automatically. That is probably a far reach, though. But if I can do a lot of the modifications before I create a custom ISO, then I can save time each successive time I need to work with a new system board.

The attempt to remove the unwanted Apps form the All Apps list was successful, by the way. It really helps with cleaning up that list.

One Win 7 feature I really miss is the menu-based Copy to & Move to functions in Windows 7's Windows Explorer (in the Edit menu). I found an instructional to add them to the Right click menu for an individual file or folder, but the menu-based routine allows a number of files to be selected at once time, and copied or moved. Also, the system remembers the previous destination, which can be handy, I think. The way the writer added the right-click ones in was through running a Registry file. (He said 'added back in", but I don't know what version of Windows actually had that, because I'm pretty sure that no version I ever used had it. But I also skipped over several since 3.1. The only later ones I have used are 95, 98se, XP, & 7, and I didn't use 3.1 very much - I mostly stuck with DOS back then.)

Another thing I'm trying to get a clear concept of is to what extent the 'real Administrator' is crippled in Win 10. I've seen some things that generate a message saying something like "that cannot be done from this account", but so far, I think it is mostly internet-related functions. (They really ought to block all of that sort of stuff from any Administrator group account, if they are serious about stopping people from working in an Administrator account on the internet. Some of this "We'll protect you from yourself" stuff is already pretty heavy handed.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

You'd really be happier using Linux of some sort, Neto. Most people really aren't troubled by those things. They just want a computer that works when they turn it on, and will do what they want with the least amount of fuss.

I think those of us who lived under DOS and were accustomed to batch files and using the command prompt find it a bit harder.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Neto wrote:One Win 7 feature I really miss is the menu-based Copy to & Move to functions in Windows 7's Windows Explorer (in the Edit menu).

Just open the explorer and highlight your files. Click on either the Move To or the Copy To icons on the ribbon. Or use the keyboard shortcuts, Ctrl-X to cut or Ctrl-c to copy, then go to the destination and press Ctrl-V to paste. Or open two instances of the Explorer and drag from one window to the other. If you use the right mouse button to do this, you can chose either Move or Copy from the resulting menu.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Whoa. I had read some place that "all of the items from that menu item have been moved to the icon bar" (or somesuch), but I just didn't see them. I'm just an old-fashioned menu-keyboard guy, and I tend not to use any of the icons, just keyboard shortcuts. (I also have trouble with repetitive movement problems from too much mouse use. I don't get it in the wrist like other people - my shoulder locks up.)

But Thanks!
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

OK, I finally see the Copy to & Move to icons.

So I did a comparison:
Windows 10 mouse based approach:
Select file(s)
Click Home
Click Copy/Move to
Click Choose Location
Navigate to desired destination.

Windows 7 mouse based approach:
Select file(s)
Click Edit
Click Copy/Move to
Navigate to desired destination.
(one less click)

Windows 10 keyboard based approach:
ALT H CF
CONNOT CONTINUE - "Choose Location" has no keyboard shortcut key.
Alternate: Hit Up Arrow
Enter

Windows 7 keyboard based approach:
ALT E F
(This is where you really see the difference.)
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Cortana.

Ever hear the saying "I heard it from a little birdie"? Well, Cortana is the little birdie that is telling Microsoft everything it knows.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Back again with my growing hatred (did I just say hatred? Dislike.) of Windows 10. Networking in Windows 7 was already flaky compared to XP, and now Win 10 is a good deal worse. (I'm referring to a mixed network, where some systems are 7, others, 10. The Win 7 system fairly quickly finds and gives access to the Win 10 system, but I've only seen the win 10 system briefly - until the nest restart - give access to the Win 7 system. A good bit of the time it cannot even see itself.)

In win 7 (after deploying IE 11.0), I started using a PerMachine Proxy configuration, and assumed that it would work the same in Win 10. Not so. So for now I'm stuck with setting up word processors with the PerUser approach. (I have had it working as PerMachine, but then it randomly works and then doesn't work, and I had added Registry keys in several locations, because it's very difficult to identify where the controlling setting is located.)

I could go on with other things I don't like about it, but I'll let it rest. (I'm starting to think that I owe Microsoft an apology for all of the bad things I said about Vista way back when.)
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Neto wrote:Back again with my growing hatred (did I just say hatred? Dislike.) of Windows 10. Networking in Windows 7 was already flaky compared to XP, and now Win 10 is a good deal worse. (I'm referring to a mixed network, where some systems are 7, others, 10. The Win 7 system fairly quickly finds and gives access to the Win 10 system, but I've only seen the win 10 system briefly - until the nest restart - give access to the Win 7 system. A good bit of the time it cannot even see itself.)

In win 7 (after deploying IE 11.0), I started using a PerMachine Proxy configuration, and assumed that it would work the same in Win 10. Not so. So for now I'm stuck with setting up word processors with the PerUser approach. (I have had it working as PerMachine, but then it randomly works and then doesn't work, and I had added Registry keys in several locations, because it's very difficult to identify where the controlling setting is located.)

I could go on with other things I don't like about it, but I'll let it rest. (I'm starting to think that I owe Microsoft an apology for all of the bad things I said about Vista way back when.)
You should be using Windows Enterprise for what you're doing, probably.
0 x