Windows 10

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Windows 10

Post by Neto »

lesterb wrote:
Neto wrote:Back again with my growing hatred (did I just say hatred? Dislike.) of Windows 10. Networking in Windows 7 was already flaky compared to XP, and now Win 10 is a good deal worse. (I'm referring to a mixed network, where some systems are 7, others, 10. The Win 7 system fairly quickly finds and gives access to the Win 10 system, but I've only seen the win 10 system briefly - until the nest restart - give access to the Win 7 system. A good bit of the time it cannot even see itself.)

In win 7 (after deploying IE 11.0), I started using a PerMachine Proxy configuration, and assumed that it would work the same in Win 10. Not so. So for now I'm stuck with setting up word processors with the PerUser approach. (I have had it working as PerMachine, but then it randomly works and then doesn't work, and I had added Registry keys in several locations, because it's very difficult to identify where the controlling setting is located.)

I could go on with other things I don't like about it, but I'll let it rest. (I'm starting to think that I owe Microsoft an apology for all of the bad things I said about Vista way back when.)
You should be using Windows Enterprise for what you're doing, probably.
Thanks for the reply. I have recently seen comments which suggest that this might be a better fit. Where would you suggest getting the licenses? (I checked on the newegg website, and they do not seem to sell it.) Is it available as an upgrade? (I have more than ten win 10 licenses in stock currently.)

[Edit: I cannot even find it on the Microsoft Store site.]
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

I was just looking at the following site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows ... ss/Compare

and I didn't see anything that really jumped out at me as an advantage. What I'd like is "JUST Windows 10", w/o all of the spying apps, and the ability to remove unwanted shortcuts in the All Apps list, turn off updates entirely, etc. (I have been able to remove SOME of them by modifying the install media image, but some pesky ones cannot be removed in that way.) Or just give me Windows 7 with extended support in the device & software world. (For instance, Windows 7 is not supported on 7th gen CPUs. at least officially. I have made it work, but later, after a week or so, it inexplicably stopped working.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote:
lesterb wrote:
Neto wrote:Back again with my growing hatred (did I just say hatred? Dislike.) of Windows 10. Networking in Windows 7 was already flaky compared to XP, and now Win 10 is a good deal worse. (I'm referring to a mixed network, where some systems are 7, others, 10. The Win 7 system fairly quickly finds and gives access to the Win 10 system, but I've only seen the win 10 system briefly - until the nest restart - give access to the Win 7 system. A good bit of the time it cannot even see itself.)

In win 7 (after deploying IE 11.0), I started using a PerMachine Proxy configuration, and assumed that it would work the same in Win 10. Not so. So for now I'm stuck with setting up word processors with the PerUser approach. (I have had it working as PerMachine, but then it randomly works and then doesn't work, and I had added Registry keys in several locations, because it's very difficult to identify where the controlling setting is located.)

I could go on with other things I don't like about it, but I'll let it rest. (I'm starting to think that I owe Microsoft an apology for all of the bad things I said about Vista way back when.)
You should be using Windows Enterprise for what you're doing, probably.
Thanks for the reply. I have recently seen comments which suggest that this might be a better fit. Where would you suggest getting the licenses? (I checked on the newegg website, and they do not seem to sell it.) Is it available as an upgrade? (I have more than ten win 10 licenses in stock currently.)

[Edit: I cannot even find it on the Microsoft Store site.]
I think Windows 10 Enterprise is only available through volume licensing, and you have to purchase through one of their partners. A 90 day evaluation copy is available from TechNet.

If I understand correctly, though, you would need a separate volume licensing account in each of your customers' names - I don't believe OEM install of Windows Enterprise is allowed.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote:just give me Windows 7 with extended support in the device & software world.
:up: :up:
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Neto wrote:just give me Windows 7 with extended support in the device & software world.
I've been experimenting with the new Solus 3 linux distro that came out in August. You fellows would like that. It's pretty good, all around. It's based on the linux kernel from the ground up. In other words it isn't an Ubuntu or Debian derivative. You can get it with Mate, Gnome, or Budgie desktops. Budgie, I think, is a desktop that they have created. So if you want the true Solus experience, this is the one to download.

I've tried it before but this is the first Solus distro that installed perfectly in VMware for me. I'm writing this in Chrome, which is available as a third party download.

But I guess this is a bunny trail. I like Solus for the same reason I like Windows 10. It's new. 8-)
I enjoy digging into new software and trying to make it work. For me, Windows 10 has worked exceptionally well. But I'm not setting up networks with it, like Neto. All in all, though, i think that trying to fight development and freeze the computer world is a lost cause. You'll just be frustrated until you learn to fit into the system. If you want out of the system, drop out completely and go to linux. Apple is no different from Windows, except it tends to run on better hardware.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

lesterb wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
I've been experimenting with the new Solus 3 linux distro that came out in August. You fellows would like that. It's pretty good, all around. It's based on the linux kernel from the ground up. In other words it isn't an Ubuntu or Debian derivative. You can get it with Mate, Gnome, or Budgie desktops. Budgie, I think, is a desktop that they have created. So if you want the true Solus experience, this is the one to download.

I've tried it before but this is the first Solus distro that installed perfectly in VMware for me. I'm writing this in Chrome, which is available as a third party download.

But I guess this is a bunny trail. I like Solus for the same reason I like Windows 10. It's new. 8-)
I enjoy digging into new software and trying to make it work. For me, Windows 10 has worked exceptionally well. But I'm not setting up networks with it, like Neto. All in all, though, i think that trying to fight development and freeze the computer world is a lost cause. You'll just be frustrated until you learn to fit into the system. If you want out of the system, drop out completely and go to linux. Apple is no different from Windows, except it tends to run on better hardware.
Unfortunately, it is not me who wants to halt development in the computer world - if it was just me, I'd just sign out and let them go on where ever they aim to go. But it's my work, my only source of income. And it has to be Windows in order to run the main-stream business software. (Also, I don't know the first thing about those other OSs.) Maybe my problems with the Win 10 networking are due to changes I was forced to make in order to lock out internet access, which is required for my customers.
Thanks for your input.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Dragging this dead horse out of the grave for another beating.

Subject this time: Windows 10 and multiple printers of the exact same model installed on a network

I was working last night at a business where I've been converting Win 7 systems to OS 10. They have two identical printers, but need them both to be installed, especially for sending our faxes. I've done this sort of thing in Win 7 often, sometimes installing up to 7 or 8 identical network printers, renaming each after it is installed to correspond to the name of the secretary at the desk where it sat. It's a bit tedious (especially after working through 6 or 7 work stations, each with ALL of the printers. That's how they want to send messages to each other. Crazy? Yeah, but you do what the boss says.), but it works well. Last night I was just trying to install TWO, and OS 10 had to install the second one via IP Address. That would be fine, except that it didn't install the fax for the 2nd one, at least I do not think it did (nothing in the printers list for it).

So now that I've done the belly-aching, how is it supposed to be done? I searched a bit on line, but must be using the wrong search words, because nothing even remotely helpful is coming up. So, what say the Masters of Tech?
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote:Dragging this dead horse out of the grave for another beating.

Subject this time: Windows 10 and multiple printers of the exact same model installed on a network

I was working last night at a business where I've been converting Win 7 systems to OS 10. They have two identical printers, but need them both to be installed, especially for sending our faxes. I've done this sort of thing in Win 7 often, sometimes installing up to 7 or 8 identical network printers, renaming each after it is installed to correspond to the name of the secretary at the desk where it sat. It's a bit tedious (especially after working through 6 or 7 work stations, each with ALL of the printers. That's how they want to send messages to each other. Crazy? Yeah, but you do what the boss says.), but it works well. Last night I was just trying to install TWO, and OS 10 had to install the second one via IP Address. That would be fine, except that it didn't install the fax for the 2nd one, at least I do not think it did (nothing in the printers list for it).

So now that I've done the belly-aching, how is it supposed to be done? I searched a bit on line, but must be using the wrong search words, because nothing even remotely helpful is coming up. So, what say the Masters of Tech?
What model printer? Do all the workstations need to be able to fax using both machines?
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Neto wrote:Dragging this dead horse out of the grave for another beating.

What model printer? Do all the workstations need to be able to fax using both machines?
HP 8720. Basically, each work area has two printers from which they can send faxes, but these two 8720s are the main ones, so several other workstations also use them. (The business does have email, but they also do a great deal of faxes.) They just need to have multiple printers available, for at certain times when there are a lot of faxes going out. But I think that generally one is left to receive, while the other is used to send.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I thought faxes went out of style with Windows 3.1 and 5-1/4" floppies.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited