Glitchy laptop? Its not that old!

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Glitchy laptop? Its not that old!

Post by Soloist »

I've built my own computers and I can get so much more out of them with my money then a laptop. Of course portability is an issue. I have seen people hauling their desktop to college :shock:

Generally speaking though, a budget machine can be bought cheaper then built unless you are using Linux.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

After mulling this over, for the moment I need to stick with a laptop. My home office is in the corner of our bedroom. Since not all the older children are at home anymore, there is a possibility of me getting a separate room for my office/lounge/man cave, etc. But we're looking at spring-time at the earliest.

I also need something portable. I haven't gotten into this "cloud" thing just yet but would be open to the concept. I guess I'm a bit old school in how I save files. In all likelihood, I will be going back to Dell, even looking at their 2 in 1's but not sure until I actually use one in person.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote:After mulling this over, for the moment I need to stick with a laptop. My home office is in the corner of our bedroom. Since not all the older children are at home anymore, there is a possibility of me getting a separate room for my office/lounge/man cave, etc. But we're looking at spring-time at the earliest.

I also need something portable. I haven't gotten into this "cloud" thing just yet but would be open to the concept. I guess I'm a bit old school in how I save files. In all likelihood, I will be going back to Dell, even looking at their 2 in 1's but not sure until I actually use one in person.
Nothing wrong with a laptop as long as you can keep it cool.

Look into one of these things for your back up data https://www.newegg.com/adata-sd600q-240 ... 6820215309
Great little puppy, I've got one myself
0 x
steve-in-kville

For those that dabble in Linux, what are the chances my laptop could be salvaged for that?
0 x

PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

If it is really the hard drive that is damaged, Linux would not make things better. If you want to test it, no problem. You can install Linux beside Windows and can delete it again. But as you must install Linux from a DVD or USB stick, you must at least be able to go into the boot menu (changing the priorities for booting).
Myself I was rather the normal case: Had an old laptop with Vista which allegedly could not be uplifted to anything better, used it until it was too slow and glitchy (no more updates for applications possible). For Linux I had to find out what variant (iso Image) was the best (via googling) and needed to know if my laptop was 32 or 64 bit. Afaik everything works well now, but I use it only for certain professional tasks.
0 x
steve-in-kville

I had an old Window 95 Toshiba where we split the hard drive for a Linux application. Once I was used to it, I really liked it. Seems like the older Ham radio gearheads really get into that Linux stuff, maybe because they like to tinker or Linux just works and its super stable for them. Maybe both.

The hotshot IT kid at work thinks I should go with a Mac Book, whatever that is. Tells me all my computer problems will go away over night.... somehow I don't believe him... 8-)
0 x

Soloist

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote:I had an old Window 95 Toshiba where we split the hard drive for a Linux application. Once I was used to it, I really liked it. Seems like the older Ham radio gearheads really get into that Linux stuff, maybe because they like to tinker or Linux just works and its super stable for them. Maybe both.

The hotshot IT kid at work thinks I should go with a Mac Book, whatever that is. Tells me all my computer problems will go away over night.... somehow I don't believe him... 8-)
Linux has multiple options and variations. I'm sure there is one that you would like but you need to figure out if your hard drive is toast first.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Soloist wrote:
Linux has multiple options and variations. I'm sure there is one that you would like but you need to figure out if your hard drive is toast first.
I broke down and ordered another Dell. Hoping to have it next week. The old HP is letting me do what I need to do... so far. Battery is holding at 2% as I have the "plugged in, not charging" thing happening. Most of the time when I insert a memory card to upload photos (of trains, what else? ;) ) is allows me to do it. Other times it has a nervous breakdown and needs to be restarted.
0 x

Soloist

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Soloist wrote:
I broke down and ordered another Dell. Hoping to have it next week. The old HP is letting me do what I need to do... so far. Battery is holding at 2% as I have the "plugged in, not charging" thing happening. Most of the time when I insert a memory card to upload photos (of trains, what else? ;) ) is allows me to do it. Other times it has a nervous breakdown and needs to be restarted.
Man... I was too late. I was going to have you build this thingy, it fits you perfectly! https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php
0 x