New Smart Phone recommendations

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: New Smart Phone recommendations

Post by steve-in-kville »

I think I'm using a 635 now.

Keep in mind, I have pre-pay AT&T and I can switch out the SIM cards between phones myself. Other cell services are not that easy and must be switched by a cell phone store.

I'm still a bit old-school when it comes to smart phones. My adult children are doing things on their phones that I don't even trust doing on a computer :mrgreen:
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
aussieandy
Affiliation: Nationwide (Seeker)

Post by aussieandy »

I learnt off my Nationwide congregation that in the USA they've done a special deal with Apple to limit what applications they can load or use. It boils down to about 55 applications. The smartphone makes sense over there. Outside the USA, no such system exists.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

aussieandy wrote:I learnt off my Nationwide congregation that in the USA they've done a special deal with Apple to limit what applications they can load or use. It boils down to about 55 applications. The smartphone makes sense over there. Outside the USA, no such system exists.

The good thing is that you don't need to make an agreement with apple. You can limit smartphones as long as you have the screen time set up. Someone else holds the password. Our church has an approved app list and is willing to consider other apps for use. Generally paid apps are much more likely to be approved due to no ads.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote:I think I'm using a 635 now.

Keep in mind, I have pre-pay AT&T and I can switch out the SIM cards between phones myself. Other cell services are not that easy and must be switched by a cell phone store.

:arrow: I'm still a bit old-school when it comes to smart phones.
My adult children are doing things on their phones that I don't even trust doing on a computer :mrgreen:
my family gave me an iphone SE in July.
i’m sure they got the best price, but it would have been more than $100.

i’m learning. i enjoy it. i miss a dedicated phone.

i believe calling these things “phones” is a misnomer, altho marketing genius.

they are computers with phone options. the phone function is the least of the options.

from what i gather, young people are using the phone option (talking) less+less, preferring brief texts and other forms of techy communication (avoidance of talking or other human interaction).

i’m not sure this is correct.
there are notes of loss of real life communication and other social skills.

with pandemic requirements with so much remote-everything, i’ve asked my daughter to have a land line phone put back in their home. no response. :mrgreen: (for safety.) her daughter is often alone, she isn’t “tied” to her phone, the battery is often dead. “what if” she needed to call or be reached?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN