New Smart Phone recommendations

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

New Smart Phone recommendations

Post by Ernie »

I've been using a Moto G4 for the past 5 years or so. I have not been satisfied with the phone. Charging connection goes bad. Phone gets stuck trying to open programs that I didn't try to open / screen flashes constantly, etc.

What do you recommend for a phone about 3" wide and 6" tall that I can buy for about $100 used?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: New Smart Phone recommendations

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote:I've been using a Moto G4 for the past 5 years or so. I have not been satisfied with the phone. Charging connection goes bad. Phone gets stuck trying to open programs that I didn't try to open / screen flashes constantly, etc.

What do you recommend for a phone about 3" wide and 6" tall that I can buy for about $100 used?
If you are going used at that price you can't be that picky. Just find something newer than what you have. Cheapest way to get something newer is to find someone who is upgrading to a new phone and buy their old one off them. The phone companies give such small chump change for trade-ins that most people are happy to sell to someone else rather than trading their old phone in.

If I was wanting to do what you are doing, I'd just put a note up in the local NextDoor forum for my neighborhood ask if anyone is upgrading their android phone and wants to sell their old one. I bet I would get a couple of replies immediately.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Here's a current model similar to the one I've been using for the last 3 years with no problems. $120 new.
https://www.newegg.com/blu-g60-6-1-4g-lte/p/23B-000R-002H6

I like the Blü phones for the dual SIM feature. I have both the US SIM and an international data SIM installed, and when landing elsewhere on the planet (which, alas, is not currently all that feasible), switch between them using the Settings menu rather than physically swapping the chips.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Having been forced to upgrade from the 3G network cell phone I had (my first & only), I ended up getting the Google Pixel 3a. (I only got it about 6 months ago, but a later version is already out.) Still learning to use it, but mainly because I kept my old number as a Google Voice number (because it is tied to my business), and got a new one as well, for personal use.

My old one was a flip phone, and one thing that bothers me about the new one is that it is so wide (3") that it is uncomfortable holding it for long calls. (And no, I'm not going to "go Borg" and get an ear piece, or whatever they call those things that clip on a person's ear lobe or however.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ohio jones wrote:Here's a current model similar to the one I've been using for the last 3 years with no problems. $120 new.
https://www.newegg.com/blu-g60-6-1-4g-lte/p/23B-000R-002H6

I like the Blü phones for the dual SIM feature. I have both the US SIM and an international data SIM installed, and when landing elsewhere on the planet (which, alas, is not currently all that feasible), switch between them using the Settings menu rather than physically swapping the chips.
I bought one of their obsolete G3 models as a burner phone on my last trip to the Middle East. 50$! Worked fine, it is GSM if that makes a difference. If you want a lightly used 3G phone let me know.

I can think of a time where a dual sim phone would have been really useful.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote:
My old one was a flip phone, and one thing that bothers me about the new one is that it is so wide (3") that it is uncomfortable holding it for long calls. (And no, I'm not going to "go Borg" and get an ear piece, or whatever they call those things that clip on a person's ear lobe or however.)
I do not know how helpful it would be for you, Neto, but my clever wife found a solution for mine. She glued an elastic strap to the phone case (not to the phone) so that it looks like the example below. I like it because it still fits in my pocket but lets my hand relax while holding the phone. My hands can cramp easily.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote:
Neto wrote:
I do not know how helpful it would be for you, Neto, but my clever wife found a solution for mine. She glued an elastic strap to the phone case (not to the phone) so that it looks like the example below. I like it because it still fits in my pocket but lets my hand relax while holding the phone. My hands can cramp easily.
I see that you are right handed.... ;) (I notice stuff like that, because I am left handed, and everything else looks "backwards" to me, like a mirror image.

Thanks for the idea, but that would cover up the camera lens, and the carrier I purchased has a "kick stand" on the back as well. My case is a two part deal, with a belt clip on the holster. I don't really like wearing it out in view, because I saw so much ostentatious display of cell phones when they first came into use in Brazil, and I'm also afraid that I would drop it out of my shirt pocket if I carry it there. (My sons wear 'cargo pants', but I'm still a regular fit jeans guy, so it doesn't fit in the pants pocket, where I always carried the flip phone I had. But I still avoided having it with me as much as possible, because I didn't like the bulk in my pocket, and also don't like that constant "connectedness". I guess I lived in the jungle too long.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote:
MaxPC wrote: Image
I see that you are right handed.... ;) (I notice stuff like that, because I am left handed, and everything else looks "backwards" to me, like a mirror image.

Thanks for the idea, but that would cover up the camera lens, and the carrier I purchased has a "kick stand" on the back as well. My case is a two part deal, with a belt clip on the holster. I don't really like wearing it out in view, because I saw so much ostentatious display of cell phones when they first came into use in Brazil, and I'm also afraid that I would drop it out of my shirt pocket if I carry it there. (My sons wear 'cargo pants', but I'm still a regular fit jeans guy, so it doesn't fit in the pants pocket, where I always carried the flip phone I had. But I still avoided having it with me as much as possible, because I didn't like the bulk in my pocket, and also don't like that constant "connectedness". I guess I lived in the jungle too long.)
That is not a picture of my hand, though I am right handed. I found that photo at the blog where my wife found the idea. This works for both right and left-handedness.

The elastic on my phone case is not as wide as that ribbon. I would say the elastic is about 1/4" wide. In addition to epoxy glue, my wife taped the ends with Gorilla Tape. I carry my phone in my breast pocket of my shirt. I no longer carry pen sleeves to protect the pockets there as I did in my younger years. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I've owned a few generations of the Nokia Lumia series. Its Windows based, which is fine with me. I bought two of a recently discontinued model for $120 (NIB) or ebay this past spring.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote:I've owned a few generations of the Nokia Lumia series. Its Windows based, which is fine with me. I bought two of a recently discontinued model for $120 (NIB) or ebay this past spring.
Model numbers would be helpful.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"