How sound travels?

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: How sound travels?

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote:There's times when the air is cold that I can hear the train horns miles out, almost to the point I can guess check crossing they are at. Other times, I can hear a low hum of the locomotives, but cannot hear the horns. My imagination?
Probably not your imagination. The sounds of the locomotives are probably much lower frequency (lower pitch) than that of the horns. Lower frequency sound waves to travel further and also interact less (reflect, refract, etc.) than higher frequency sound waves.

But at the same time, the rumble of the engines may be more similar to other ambient noise like highway noise so may be harder to distinguish than train horns which are designed to be easy to hear.

The human ear doesn't perceive all frequencies equally. Human hearing is most attuned to hearing frequencies at about 3000 Hz which is roughly the pitch of a baby's cry or woman's voice. (Yes, there are lots of bad physicists jokes about that).
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:My observation is that the speed of sound is determined directly by the amount of interest in the listener. The speed of sound slows incredibly when the situation is a parent telling a child to clean up, for example.
:hi5
steve-in-kville wrote:There's times when the air is cold that I can hear the train horns miles out, almost to the point I can guess check crossing they are at. Other times, I can hear a low hum of the locomotives, but cannot hear the horns. My imagination?
Not necessarily. Mind you, your own body will affect your hearing. Whether your blood pressure is higher or lower that day impacts your ability to hear. Likewise any fluid build up from a cold or other condition will also impact. Mix that in with external factors and you will have a great deal of variability.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Ken wrote:Colder air is also less dense so the same phenomenon applies.
Was this a typo? Isn't colder air denser than warmer air? Open a refrigerator door a crack and check above and below the door. Which is colder? The cooler air is sinking.
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

There’s other factors to consider too. When the air is cold there usually aren’t many leaves on trees to absorb the sound. If there’s snow on the ground, a lot of the local ambient noise will be absorbed and it will be easier to notice loud sounds from farther away.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Ken wrote:Colder air is also less dense so the same phenomenon applies.
Was this a typo? Isn't colder air denser than warmer air? Open a refrigerator door a crack and check above and below the door. Which is colder? The cooler air is sinking.
Yes. I meant more dense, all things being equal. But it is complicated when you are talking about the atmosphere and not a lab. As you go up in elevation the air becomes both colder and less dense, for example.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Ken wrote:But it is complicated when you are talking about the atmosphere and not a lab. As you go up in elevation the air becomes both colder and less dense, for example.
Yes, it's complicated. I live in a valley. It gets warmer, from evening until mid-morning, when one goes up in elevation out of the valley.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

It seems like there is magical time as the air keeps getting cooler as dawn nears, the trains get louder. We live about 5 - 7 minutes from the tracks and some mornings the rumble through town wakes us up.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/