Torrent Downloads

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Torrent Downloads

Post by lesterb »

Does anyone here have any experience with using Torrent downloads? Any cautions or recommendations?

I'm downloading a 1 GB file and decided to try a torrents download. It looks like it's going to take a quarter the time that it would take to get if directly from the server.

I'm using Torrent RT Free Plus for a client. That one seemed to have the best reviews on the Windows store while still being free.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Torrent Downloads

Post by Robert »

Used them multiple of times. One does have to be a little weary, but most are fine.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Robert wrote:Used them multiple of times. One does have to be a little weary, but most are fine.
I, for one, am more than a little weary. But I'm pretty much fine with that, because it's been that way for so long now already.

But regarding the safety of downloads, I have the good fortune of having a test system that I run stuff on before I install on my main system. I also never access the internet while logged in as system Administrator, so if a download tried to install, it would require entering the password before it can continue. (I say this because my test system is not connected to the internet, so I carry the downloads on a flashdrive there, to test install. If it fouls up something, I just wipe the HDD & reimage it.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Neto wrote:I, for one, am more than a little weary.
Me too. Wish I could take a nap.

Pet Peeve: When "weary" is used in place of "leery" and/or "wary." That just unleashes a torrent of frustration. :x :geek:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

ohio jones wrote:
Neto wrote:I, for one, am more than a little weary.
Me too. Wish I could take a nap.

Pet Peeve: When "weary" is used in place of "leery" and/or "wary." That just unleashes a torrent of frustration. :x :geek:
:rofl:

I am sooo glad you are along for the ride!! :clap:
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.