CloudVeil Messenger App

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

CloudVeil Messenger App

Post by RZehr »

We’ve been looking for an alternative to GroupMe and WhatsApp.
I’m told that-
CloudVeil is a messaging app created by the Holderman Mennonites which runs on the Telegram platform, but has removed the objectionable features. Many of the church groups which do not use internet or social media are gravitating towards CloudVeil rather than WhatsApp because of that.
Anyone use it?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: CloudVeil Messenger App

Post by Josh »

I do. The app is primarily focused on a few specific features like disabling URL previews and is interoperable with Telegram.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

There are some mild issues in terms of objectionable content, but its far superior to whatsapp, telegram or voxer.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote:There are some mild issues in terms of objectionable content, but its far superior to whatsapp, telegram or voxer.
The downside is Telegram’s notifications are not as reliable as WhatsApp.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote:
Soloist wrote:There are some mild issues in terms of objectionable content, but its far superior to whatsapp, telegram or voxer.
I don’t have WhatsApp. Can you explain the notifications? With Cloudveil, can you turn the notifications off? I do have GroupMe, and am part of my family group, in law family group and church group, and I keep the notifications turned off. I really dislike being interrupted by group notifications.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote:
I was referring only to the objectionable content.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:
Josh wrote:
I don’t have WhatsApp. Can you explain the notifications? With Cloudveil, can you turn the notifications off? I do have GroupMe, and am part of my family group, in law family group and church group, and I keep the notifications turned off. I really dislike being interrupted by group notifications.
WhatsApp is a billion+ dollar app which has very carefully engineering to make sure the other person reliably gets notifications. Telegram isn’t quite as persistent.

This means that when trying to communicate with Mennonites who use both, Telegram tends to be a dead end and you need to use WhatsApp to get ahold of them.
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:
Josh wrote:
WhatsApp is a billion+ dollar app which has very carefully engineering to make sure the other person reliably gets notifications. Telegram isn’t quite as persistent.

This means that when trying to communicate with Mennonites who use both, Telegram tends to be a dead end and you need to use WhatsApp to get ahold of them.
This is my situation as well. I don't know who I would contact on Cloud Veil but I know plenty who are on whatsapp
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

We wouldn’t be using Cloudveil to contact individuals, but primarily for group chats.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

What’s going on with a surge of people joining Cloudveil? Previous to this weekend, the only people in my contact list who had Cloudveil were all Mennonite plus one German Baptist.
In the last 6 months I was only notified of about 1 or 2 new users in that whole time.
Just in the last 24 hours I’ve been notified of 4 people joining Cloudveil and not just Mennonites. Is the tech upheaval driving people to Cloudveil?
0 x