ALT Code special characters

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

ALT Code special characters

Post by Neto »

How do I get the Alt+ codes to work?

I want to type each of the numbers 1 - 9 in (separate) circles. 1 in a circle is supposed to be produced by holding the Alt key, and typing 9312. I just get the symbol `.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: ALT Code special characters

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote:How do I get the Alt+ codes to work?

I want to type each of the numbers 1 - 9 in (separate) circles. 1 in a circle is supposed to be produced by holding the Alt key, and typing 9312. I just get the symbol `.
What program?
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote:

What program?
I tried it in both Word and in the Windows text editor, but I figured once I got the characters down in any kind of program, I could just copy them in when needed. But where I really wanted to use them is in spreadsheets. I use both OpenOffice & LibreOffice for that - don't have Excel.

This gave me the idea of looking in LibreOffice where I'd found the white numbers in a black circle in Word - in the WingDings. Libre Office Writer has the black numbers in the circle w/ the white cents, as I was wanting. Thanks.
Last edited by Neto on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:

What program?
I tried it in both Word and in the Windows text editor, but I figured once I got the characters down in any kind of program, I could just copy them in when needed. But where I really wanted to use them is in spreadsheets. I use both OpenOffice & LibreOffice for that - don't have Excel.
Here are the characters for you: ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩

In Word, type in the Hex code, then ALT+X to convert it to symbol:
① 2460 CIRCLED DIGIT ONE
② 2461 CIRCLED DIGIT TWO
③ 2462 CIRCLED DIGIT THREE
④ 2463 CIRCLED DIGIT FOUR
⑤ 2464 CIRCLED DIGIT FIVE
⑥ 2465 CIRCLED DIGIT SIX
⑦ 2466 CIRCLED DIGIT SEVEN
⑧ 2467 CIRCLED DIGIT EIGHT
⑨ 2468 CIRCLED DIGIT NINE
⑩ 2469 CIRCLED NUMBER TEN

Not sure about OpenOffice or LibreOffice but in Excell you can paste the symbol in a cell.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Thanks. I had tried that, but maybe my version of Word is too old? (Word 97 - possibly the first version of Word for Windows, I think....)
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote:Thanks. I had tried that, but maybe my version of Word is too old? (Word 97 - possibly the first version of Word for Windows, I think....)
'fraid I don't have anything that old. Does it work to copy and paste the symbols?
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Neto wrote:Thanks. I had tried that, but maybe my version of Word is too old? (Word 97 - possibly the first version of Word for Windows, I think....)
'fraid I don't have anything that old. Does it work to copy and paste the symbols?
I thought it did, because I was able to copy it from LibreOffice into Word 97, but not into OpenOffice Calc (which I'm using on another computer to rebuild some charts). Oh well, I guess I'll have to find some other workable alternative.
(What I'm doing is entering the text from an old book that uses these circled numbers for explanatory notes where there are more than 3 notes. If only three, they use *. **, and ***. Maybe I'll enclose the numerals in double chevrons.)
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Also try using Windows Character Map. Find and highlight the character in the Wingdings font, Select, Copy. Go to the spreadsheet or document and Paste. Seems like that should work even on computers old enough to vote.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto

Post by Neto »

ohio jones wrote:Also try using Windows Character Map. Find and highlight the character in the Wingdings font, Select, Copy. Go to the spreadsheet or document and Paste. Seems like that should work even on computers old enough to vote.
It was a bit tedious, but I got it to work. When I tried to paste the special character into existing text in the spreadsheet, it would revert to some other (standard) font. I had to copy all of the special characters into a separate line in the word processing program, then copy the normal text style descriptive phrases into that. Then I was able to copy that entire line into the spreadsheet, and it all stayed put. We'll see if it stays that way the next time I open the spreadsheet. But i cannot figure why the normal Alt + numeric code entry doesn't work. Speaking of old computers, I rather suspect that if a person was working in DOS, MS-DOS, or one of the older OSes (CP/M or Dek, for instance), it would work like it's supposed to. I THINK I remember doing stuff like that back then, before WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).
0 x