I need a new camera.

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

I need a new camera.

Post by steve-in-kville »

In the market for a new camera. At this point, I'm looking at the point & shoot variety, no more than $300. Must be able to do some video. I know there are a few here that dabble in photography, so I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: I need a new camera.

Post by JimFoxvog »

I've been happy with my Fujifilm Finepix S4500. It has a 30X zoom which may be a little deceiving as it starts with a very wide field (sometimes useful) and goes 30 times closer than that; not the same as a 30X binoculars. It does video with sound, has a 3 and 10-second delay so you could get in your own group picture, and more settings than you'll ever remember. It's also able to take 2 cm closeups.

It's available on Ebay for less than $100.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

What do you plan to use it for?

I bought a Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70S for just under $300 on sale. It is small enough that I can have it readily at hand but also takes good enough pictures that some professional photographers use it. If you use the right setting, it can be used as a simple point-and-shoot camera, which is what I do most of the time. If you can figure out everything you can do with it, you can do a lot more than I can. This is the most expensive camera I have ever bought, but I use it for work and am very pleased with it. And it has lasted longer than two cheaper cameras that died on me.

Prices go up and down, but if you wait you can get it or the DC-ZS70K for under $300 when the price dips. Or get one used.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

My wife has a Pentax Q series camera. A bit more than a point and shoot, but produces really good pictures. And the features......

Beware of digital rather than optical zoom. It really kills your resolution.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

A point-and-shoot camera in that price range really ought to include an integrated smartphone.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ohio jones wrote:A point-and-shoot camera in that price range really ought to include an integrated smartphone.
My daughters i phone 11 has 3 lenses! You will never make that price point though, unless you work for the company.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
ohio jones wrote:A point-and-shoot camera in that price range really ought to include an integrated smartphone.
My daughters i phone 11 has 3 lenses! You will never make that price point though, unless you work for the company.

J.M.
Not all of us are enticed by the Apple.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Depends what you want to do with it.

When I look at smartphones with cameras good enough for the pictures I need for work, they are much more expensive than a smartphone plus a separate camera. I have a cheap smartphone and a good camera. If I had a different job, I wouldn't have the camera.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

The reason I am holding back on a camera purchase is my phone is in terrible need of upgrading. I stick with Nokias as they are built like tanks and hold up. The one I have now is almost 10-year old technology. If I upgrade to something more current, I may not need the camera.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote:The reason I am holding back on a camera purchase is my phone is in terrible need of upgrading. I stick with Nokias as they are built like tanks and hold up. The one I have now is almost 10-year old technology. If I upgrade to something more current, I may not need the camera.
If you're open to the idea of a smartphone, a Google Pixel has a camera on par with a good point and shoot camera, with the exception of the optical zoom capability. But even without that, the Pixel's camera is just excellent. I think the Pixel is currently at 4, but I have a Pixel 3 XL and the camera is just second to none. I'm sure the 4 is even better. The low light image quality in particular is great. If you look at the reviews you'll see most people agree. If you carry a smartphone with a good camera, chances are you'll hardly ever bother to pack a separate camera.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3