I need a new camera.

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Re: I need a new camera.

Post by mike »

0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

That's a really good way to go.

Here's why I went a different direction. My Lumix cost me $299.00, and it fits nicely in a small pouch on my belt. My smartphone cost me $80, and it has an OK camera for many purposes. Together, that's cheaper than a smartphone with a decent camera, and the Lumix is small enough and convenient enough that I actually carry it around and use it.

I thought about buying a Pixel 4 or a Pixel 4 XL, but the price was too much for me. And if I replace my cell phone, I still have a decent camera without paying for an expensive cell phone.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote:
That's a really good way to go.

Here's why I went a different direction. My Lumix cost me $299.00, and it fits nicely in a small pouch on my belt. My smartphone cost me $80, and it has an OK camera for many purposes. Together, that's cheaper than a smartphone with a decent camera, and the Lumix is small enough and convenient enough that I actually carry it around and use it.

I thought about buying a Pixel 4 or a Pixel 4 XL, but the price was too much for me. And if I replace my cell phone, I still have a decent camera without paying for an expensive cell phone.
You can still buy a previous version like the Pixel 3. If you buy the latest version, you're paying $800-900. If you even wait a couple of months, which is what I like to do, you can usually pick up a deal for around $500. I would guess you can still buy a 3 for less than that. For as heavily as I use my phone for business along, that is money well spent. An $80 smartphone would likely be pretty sluggish in running the amount of apps that I use constantly. But it may well work for light personal use.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote:You can still buy a previous version like the Pixel 3. If you buy the latest version, you're paying $800-900. If you even wait a couple of months, which is what I like to do, you can usually pick up a deal for around $500. I would guess you can still buy a 3 for less than that. For as heavily as I use my phone for business along, that is money well spent. An $80 smartphone would likely be pretty sluggish in running the amount of apps that I use constantly. But it may well work for light personal use.
I run a lot of apps too. So far, the Moto G Play has worked well for me. I did add memory. Your mileage may vary.

I agree that having a camera on your smartphone is convenient. I use the camera on mine. And I think you are making a reasonable choice, I just think there is more reasonable way to go here.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm running an older Nokia Lumia with a Windows 8 OS. I do not use many apps at all. I bought this one on eBay for around $60 new. Like I mentioned, its an older model but has worked well for me.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I actually stepped into the 21st century and bought a Sony camcorder. I didn't realize how lousy the videos and pictures were from my Nokia smartphone until I started uploading them to Facebook. Hoping to play with it this coming weekend. I ordered the upgraded model with the 32G card instead of the 16G. Not sure how much that gets me but I'm sure some train hunting will put it through the paces :mrgreen:
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I had to replace my almost 10 year old cell phone, which was on the 2G network. Because of the need to send text messages for business interactions and the hope that I could use it for teathering, I was talked into a Google Pixel 3a (by my son-in-law). Not dissatisfied, just still learning to use it. We still (occasionally) use the first digital camera we got (as a gift back in 2005), and a couple of years ago I got my folks' old camera, which is much newer than our own. We just don't take very many pictures anymore. We mean to, but we had to (for representing our missionary ministry work) for so many years that we sort of got burned out on photo taking. I know we will resent not having taken more later, but so it is. (I used to have a Pentex K1000, but sold it because it was so hard to protect it from the humidity in the Amazon. We bought a water proof one then, and never had those problems anymore.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.