Windows Version being Used?

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Windows Version being Used?

Post by Neto »

Curious what OS people are using, and if Windows, which version? Anyone planning to continue using Win 7 after the end-of-service date in January? (Or did you drink the Microsoft coolaide?) Anyone (else) still using XP?
If I knew how, I'd make a poll, but there are too many options.
For instance, I build Windows 10 systems, but personally use Win 7 for my on-line system, and plan to stick with it for the foreseeable future. I also still use XP for some things, but it hasn't been on-line for over 10 years. I still service XP for some customers, too, although the numbers have dwindled significantly.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Windows Version being Used?

Post by ken_sylvania »

Windows 7 for all the desktops at the office.
Windows 10 on the newer laptops.
Windows 10 on the desktops I built most recently for a client whose major software will not be supported on Win7 starting next year.
I'll probably keep on Windows 7 until there is a good reason to change. I like it way better than 10
0 x
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

I have been using Linux Mint (Cinnamon on my computer, Mate on wife's computer) for the past 5 years and love it. Of course at work I have to use Windows. No forced restarts. Updates in background while continuing to use computer. Many free software programs that don't come with viruses or toolbar hijackers.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Windows 7 and 8.1. No plans to change.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote: Windows 10 on the desktops I built most recently for a client whose major software will not be supported on Win7 starting next year.
I'll probably keep on Windows 7 until there is a good reason to change. I like it way better than 10
What is the software package that will not be supported on 7 starting next year? I'm guessing some CAD program, maybe SolidWorks? I haven't looked at that program's projections, but I do have a client using SolidEdge, and maybe there is one or two of 'our' systems in Indiana & elsewhere that has SW installed. Office 2019 of course already isn't supported. Any others?

A brother in our congregation just told me last Sunday that he was forced to purchase an entire new C&C laser system in order to switch to 10 - they claimed that his older one could not be used with that. I kinda' wonder if they told him straight on that, but probably that was also a software update that pushed the change from 7 to 10.

I do prefer 10 over 8 or 8.1, but still think 7 is about the best OS Microsoft has come up with since they started Windows. I think they could have kept the basic structure & operating procedures and just made the adjustments necessary for advances in hardware w/o trashing the whole system, but that didn't fit with their objective of the "smart phone user experience", and "pay to use". The changes which favor touch screen should have been made a toggle setting - that would have kept businesses much happier with 10, in my opinion.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Neto wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote: Windows 10 on the desktops I built most recently for a client whose major software will not be supported on Win7 starting next year.
What is the software package that will not be supported on 7 starting next year? I'm guessing some CAD program, maybe SolidWorks? I haven't looked at that program's projections, but I do have a client using SolidEdge, and maybe there is one or two of 'our' systems in Indiana & elsewhere that has SW installed. Office 2019 of course already isn't supported. Any others?
Thompson Reuters CS Professional Suite - tax/accounting software package.
For that matter, EBMS 8.2 is not supported on Windows 7 according to the documentation.
Neto wrote: I do prefer 10 over 8 or 8.1, but still think 7 is about the best OS Microsoft has come up with since they started Windows. I think they could have kept the basic structure & operating procedures and just made the adjustments necessary for advances in hardware w/o trashing the whole system, but that didn't fit with their objective of the "smart phone user experience", and "pay to use". The changes which favor touch screen should have been made a toggle setting - that would have kept businesses much happier with 10, in my opinion.
Yes, exactly.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I was lazy and went with the forced update to Windows 10; I wish I could have stayed with XP, but too much software won't run with it anymore. Windows 10 frequently doesn't let you use your computer when you want to because they want to update some more.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Just in the process of switching from Win7 to 10. It has been much easier than I had dared to hope. I was told too much of our software is no longer designed for Win7. The tax software people recommended Win 10 so I moved.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

JimFoxvog wrote:I was lazy and went with the forced update to Windows 10; I wish I could have stayed with XP, but too much software won't run with it anymore. Windows 10 frequently doesn't let you use your computer when you want to because they want to update some more.
I manage 8-10 Windows 10 machines and the most aggravating thing about them is that there is no option to restart without installing an update that has been downloaded. When you need a server to restart quickly this can mean a chunk of downtime depending on the size up the update, which is a real pain.

Other than that, I don't have many complaints. I feel that Windows 10 has basically become the new Windows 7. The machines run relatively fast particularly if upgraded to SSDs even if they don't have high end specs. The constant push to have everything connected to online data sources is annoying - such as start menu or taskbar weather and news widgets. I disable all of them.

I also use a couple of Chromebooks which are perfect if you just want to use Google products and browse the web. I use Gsuite for work so for certain applications they are a godsend. They start up in seconds, and you almost forget the OS is there. One can only dream of a Windows computer that works so well.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Fidelio wrote:I have been using Linux Mint (Cinnamon on my computer, Mate on wife's computer) for the past 5 years and love it. Of course at work I have to use Windows. No forced restarts. Updates in background while continuing to use computer. Many free software programs that don't come with viruses or toolbar hijackers.
I'm using Ubuntu on my machine, with a Windows Vista virtual machine for the scanner driver and Microsoft Office.
(Yes I use Vista. It was the OEM OS on my machine, and the differences from Vista to 7 weren't enough to make me upgrade.)
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."