Compass Foundation Tech products

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Compass Foundation Tech products

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

shadrach wrote:Hello folks, it's been a while since I was here. A fellow employee told me about this thread.

A few points in disagreement with some conclusions so far:
  • Compass does not own the information of their Daystar Email users. Their customers have not clicked "Agree" on any such agreement like Gmail requires of its users. Whether the US could come up with a search warrant that would give them rightful access to Compass's servers or not, I don't know. But I do know it wouldn't be a business transaction like happens between the governments and the respective companies that sell their users' data.
  • The Security Appliance is actually used by quite a few people from churches that merely recommend it. Weaverland Conference for example.
  • I believe that if @Judas Maccabeus would read the User Agreement/Terms of Service for iCloud, he would find out that iCloud does in fact own his data. I could be wrong.
  • @electro-wiz thought that Google could fight a law enforcement supoena. I don't know if they could or not, but I do know they never bother, because they receive huge profits from selling user's data to the law enforcement.
Apple does not make a claim to own user data. Never has, and does not try to monetize it.

My daughter works for them. Asked her, they are not doing that, and never will. They take user privacy seriously. Oh yes, and ask any ICloud user if they ever got marketing related to their Email. Your answer will be NO.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
cairo
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by cairo »

Josh wrote:What church affiliation(s) is Compass Foundation’s owners and staff?
I think most of the board is Eastern Mennonite, Washington-Franklin County Mennonite, or Weaverland Conference, but many of the employees I've had contact with come from a broader range of church affiliation.

From one of their promotional brochures: "The Foundation serves all conferences with equal deference without any exclusive affiliation."

I've attended several of their yearly Business Communication Forum conferences, and judging from the attendees present I'd say they work with a pretty broad range of church groups. As Shadrach mentioned in an earlier post, there seems to be a number of church groups using it because they really like it, not because it's required by their conference.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Who owns it? Is it a non-profit foundation or a for-profit business?
0 x
shadrach
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by shadrach »

Josh wrote:Who owns it? Is it a non-profit foundation or a for-profit business?
It is a for-profit foundation (Not sure why they used that term) owned by a board of 6 or 7 men.

@Judas, I wasn't talking about personalized ads from accessing iCloud data. Apple does provide users' data to most government requests. Their privacy statement about that can be found here. They would undoubtedly receive financial compensation for that. And I suppose it's a whole debate of its own whether or not that is ethical. But the government cannot request user data from Compass, because they have not received such an agreement from their users.
0 x
I like to write sometimes, but not to study.
I like to talk, but not to listen.
I like to make people laugh, but I am not funny.
I like to plan, but not to do.

I am probably the youngest member, so any rebuke is not out of place, but welcome.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

shadrach wrote:
It is a for-profit foundation (Not sure why they used that term) owned by a board of 6 or 7 men.

@Judas, I wasn't talking about personalized ads from accessing iCloud data. Apple does provide users' data to most government requests. Their privacy statement about that can be found here. They would undoubtedly receive financial compensation for that. And I suppose it's a whole debate of its own whether or not that is ethical. But the government cannot request user data from Compass, because they have not received such an agreement from their users.
If the government has a court order for your user data, they will get it.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Josh wrote:
shadrach wrote:

Even if they have to seize every computer you own. The only thing Apple will not comply with is an order to unlock an IOS device. This they will not do because they have designed, in effect, a lock they cannot pick.

Apple will comply with any court order for data backed up on iCloud.

J.M.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Josh wrote:
shadrach wrote:

Even if they have to seize every computer you own. The only thing Apple will not comply with is an order to unlock an IOS device. This they will not do because they have designed, in effect, a lock they cannot pick.

Apple will comply with any court order for data backed up on iCloud. Any compensation they would receive would be actual expense only. But that is a far cry from Google.

J.M.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I have had business dealings with a family that used to live in the Cynthiana, KY area, moved to Waynetown, IN back in 2018. They contacted me sometime last year (I think - I don't always date the notes I scribble out while talking on the telephone...) to ask how to remove the security system I use on the locked-down computers I build & sell. They mentioned that they had changed congregations, and were now located in the Veedersburg, IN area, and using Compass Foundations services, since this new congregation does not require the stricter security settings I configure in our products.

But the reason I drug up this somewhat old thread is to ask about their "Daystar" email service - anyone using it?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.