US Navy to Replace Touchscreen Controls with Mechanical Ones

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

US Navy to Replace Touchscreen Controls with Mechanical Ones

Post by Szdfan »

This is interesting from a tech perspective:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/11/2080 ... l-controls
The US Navy will replace the touchscreen throttle and helm controls currently installed in its destroyers with mechanical ones starting in 2020,
On August 21st, 2017, the USS John S. McCain collided with the Alnic MC, a Liberian oil tanker, off the coast of Singapore. The report provides a detailed overview of the actions that led to the collision: when crew members tried to split throttle and steering control between consoles, they lost control of the ship, putting it into the path of the tanker. The crash killed 10 sailors and injured 48 aboard the McCain.

The report says that while fatigue and lack of training played a role in the accident, the design of the ship’s control console were also contributing factors.
Digital isn’t always better.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: US Navy to Replace Touchscreen Controls with Mechanical Ones

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote:Digital isn’t always better.
One should always KISS things.

Keep It Simple Stupid!

I concept that worked well all my years of design in industry.

I remember when spreadsheets were first starting to be used. The Purchaser used one to log in all the others and break down the components needed. It worked well. She came to me and showed me all the other reports she could pull off it. It was stacks of papers. I shared with her that was really neat, but they really did not help me. All I needed was the break down list. Having more tech, thus more information, is not always helpful. It is good to draw the information when needed, but to constantly have it presented without need makes us filter it our or it becomes a distraction to what we are really needing to do.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

As an industrial electrician that works with touchscreens in a rough environment I would say that this is extremely smart. We have had so many screens get broken and I get called but have no tools to fix... Now after about 5 years one of the applications on some of our touchscreens for one machine is no longer supported and eventually they just won't work... And also our handheld wireless touchscreens are causing a bunch of problems because of interference on the Wifi frequency that we use... So we are having crashes and issues too that I can't fix like I could just by fixing a simple button...
More and more I can't even replace a part on a machine unless first I hook it up to a computer and program in an IP address. But then we need to make sure we have the software, and training. Then a software or revision upgrade happens and the new part we install causes the system to crash...
We are constantly battling new technology and then if we get close to figuring it all out they change it...
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

This is an issue in aviation as well, with Airbus historically taking a more automated approach than Boeing. Pilots can lose touch with the fundamentals of flying the plane, which was a factor in the Air France 447 crash. It appears Boeing has now gone too far down that path with the 737 MAX.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

ohio jones wrote:This is an issue in aviation as well, with Airbus historically taking a more automated approach than Boeing. Pilots can lose touch with the fundamentals of flying the plane, which was a factor in the Air France 447 crash. It appears Boeing has now gone too far down that path with the 737 MAX.
I’ve been reading about how the FAA permitted Boeing to “self-certify” the safety of the software on the 737 MAX and how it led to these accidents
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
JoshScott
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by JoshScott »

Can't stand the touch-screen interface, personally.. especially touch-screen typing. Give me a clicky mechanical keyboard and a wireless optical mouse or nothing at all.
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

JoshScott wrote:Can't stand the touch-screen interface, personally.. especially touch-screen typing. Give me a clicky mechanical keyboard and a wireless optical mouse or nothing at all.
Nothing like so?
0 x
JoshScott
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by JoshScott »

Pelerin wrote:Nothing like so?
That's interesting. Personally, I couldn't handle typing on a flat surface that has no tactile response at all. The new Mac keyboards are like that basically and I can't stand them. My office mates like it so I guess there is a market for that.
0 x