Private Discussion Forum

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Private Discussion Forum

Post by lesterb »

So if I would share a Word Doc from my OneDrive like this, would people be able to access it and make comments on that thread. Could they enter actual comments in the document itself?

Or would I be better off sharing it as a PDF?

We were able to do this at work, but we all had Office 365 Business.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Boot, I looked at Slack and I think it would work too. One question, though. Would all team members see all the comments by other team members? Can you look at them in conversation mode, to get context? And can you divided them into various threads?
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Robert, are you sure you want to open up MennoNet to this kind of use?

I'd anticipate setting up a group. I'd want to approve or disapprove the group members. And I might want it to be private enough that guests couldn't audit them.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote:Robert, are you sure you want to open up MennoNet to this kind of use?

I'd anticipate setting up a group. I'd want to approve or disapprove the group members. And I might want it to be private enough that guests couldn't audit them.
I have another forum I run three separate groups with. Each has their own area and members. Not real hard. They do have to register at the main sight, but after that, I can easily segregate as needed. I can set you up as a mod for it so you can do the approving and such.

Most Office software allows for comments now a days. I agree that is it pretty rudimentary. One could copy and paste the text to the forum and then people can cut, quote and comment with much more detail.

I can research what I can do with uploaded doc files if you would rather want to use that. PDF is usually just an "image" and not as easy to comment "in" the text without advanced PDF software.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Robert wrote:
lesterb wrote:Robert, are you sure you want to open up MennoNet to this kind of use?

I have another forum I run three separate groups with. Each has their own area and members. Not real hard. They do have to register at the main sight, but after that, I can easily segregate as needed. I can set you up as a mod for it so you can do the approving and such.

Most Office software allows for comments now a days. I agree that is it pretty rudimentary. One could copy and paste the text to the forum and then people can cut, quote and comment with much more detail.

I can research what I can do with uploaded doc files if you would rather want to use that. PDF is usually just an "image" and not as easy to comment "in" the text without advanced PDF software.
If you click on the link a few posts back, it should open a word document and allow you to edit or comment in an online version of Word. Is that taking to many chances?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote:If you click on the link a few posts back, it should open a word document and allow you to edit or comment in an online version of Word. Is that taking to many chances?
There are two ways of setting that up. One is you can set up users and only they can edit/comment. Another way is to open it for any who have a link to edit it. This makes it much easier for the one publishing it. If the link is posted to a private closed group, then you will have little issue. Posting it to an open forum like this could cause some grief for the publisher.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

lesterb wrote:Boot, I looked at Slack and I think it would work too. One question, though. Would all team members see all the comments by other team members? Can you look at them in conversation mode, to get context? And can you divided them into various threads?
I set up a channel for each topic, perhaps each chapter of a book. They aren't threads, they are more like separate chat windows.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

I have found a way to convert Word documents to display on phpbb and a way to display Google Docs on phpbb. Word conversion has to be done in MS Word. Google docs has to be published to web, then displayed here in what is called an iframe. I can create a code that does this easily.

Not sure the advantage to the Word to phpbb converter since you can copy and paste the text easily. I do this on other forums. I will write something offline and then post a chapter to the forum from the word processor with a quick copy and paste. (Writing a Sci fi story about Amish in Space) :lol:

There are easy copy tools built into most all word processors. One example is to click where where you want to start the copy. Scroll down, Hold down shift and click where you want to copy to. That entire section will highlight. Hit ctrl-c and you are copied. Click to the forum, click ctrl-v and it is pasted.

I will work on the Google Doc post tool today and post something here to experiment.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Robert wrote:I have found a way to convert Word documents to display on phpbb and a way to display Google Docs on phpbb. Word conversion has to be done in MS Word. Google docs has to be published to web, then displayed here in what is called an iframe. I can create a code that does this easily.

Not sure the advantage to the Word to phpbb converter since you can copy and paste the text easily. I do this on other forums. I will write something offline and then post a chapter to the forum from the word processor with a quick copy and paste. (Writing a Sci fi story about Amish in Space) :lol:

There are easy copy tools built into most all word processors. One example is to click where where you want to start the copy. Scroll down, Hold down shift and click where you want to copy to. That entire section will highlight. Hit ctrl-c and you are copied. Click to the forum, click ctrl-v and it is pasted.

I will work on the Google Doc post tool today and post something here to experiment.
That sounds as tricky as writing a book on Ecclesiastes.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

silentreader wrote: That sounds as tricky as writing a book on Ecclesiastes.
A few were enjoying it and actually had someone do an audio version of the first few chapters. I really laughed at the lady who did the accents for the Amish dialogue.
0 x