SSD M.2 NVMe - Heatsink? Heat Spreader?

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

SSD M.2 NVMe - Heatsink? Heat Spreader?

Post by Neto »

Installing an M.2 NVMe SSD, and didn't get one w/ a heatsink (some say a heat spreader is better, but I don't find anything listed for sale under that search term). Anyone have an opinion? They say that under heavy load, the drive will heat up too much, and to protect itself, it will slow due to throttling.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
karpos
Affiliation: beachy

Re: SSD M.2 NVMe - Heatsink? Heat Spreader?

Post by karpos »

Neto wrote:Installing an M.2 NVMe SSD, and didn't get one w/ a heatsink (some say a heat spreader is better, but I don't find anything listed for sale under that search term). Anyone have an opinion? They say that under heavy load, the drive will heat up too much, and to protect itself, it will slow due to throttling.
my boot volumes on both my machines are m.2 and they do ok with out heatsync. I also have an asus hypercard and that one has a cooler built into it. I just make it a point to have a well ventilated case and corsair commander pro programmed to rev up the ll120s when the machine goes up to heavy load (da vinci resolve tends to max out both my machines)

https://www.newegg.com/p/2U3-001U-00001 ... lsrc=aw.ds
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Thanks. That's one of the heatsinks I was looking at, but I sorta' figured if it was something really important, then NewEgg would sell them themselves. (As I recall all of the ones on their site are from 'partner sellers'.)
Putting these in two systems, actually. One is going in a very well ventilated case (one of my own design that I get manufactured), and there will not be any add-in Graphics card installed, and the SSD mount location is also not under the expansion card area anyway (as it is on some boards).
But the other is for an HP Z2 G4 mini computer. It is reasonably well ventilated for a system of its size, w/ the SSD alongside the CPU heatsink area. There is quite a bit of room above it for one of the bigger heatsinks if necessary. What made me start thinking more about this is that the maintenance manual for that system, in the section about removing an SSD, mentions removing the heatsink. (I didn't direct order this system, because I couldn't get it according to the customers specifications that way.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
karpos

Post by karpos »

Neto wrote:Thanks. That's one of the heatsinks I was looking at, but I sorta' figured if it was something really important, then NewEgg would sell them themselves. (As I recall all of the ones on their site are from 'partner sellers'.)
Putting these in two systems, actually. One is going in a very well ventilated case (one of my own design that I get manufactured), and there will not be any add-in Graphics card installed, and the SSD mount location is also not under the expansion card area anyway (as it is on some boards).
But the other is for an HP Z2 G4 mini computer. It is reasonably well ventilated for a system of its size, w/ the SSD alongside the CPU heatsink area. There is quite a bit of room above it for one of the bigger heatsinks if necessary. What made me start thinking more about this is that the maintenance manual for that system, in the section about removing an SSD, mentions removing the heatsink. (I didn't direct order this system, because I couldn't get it according to the customers specifications that way.)
here is one from amazon:

I used ekwb stuff in a liquid cooled threadripper. Their stuff is okay.

0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Do you remove the manufacturer's label? (Obviously most effective that way, but voids the warranty, correct?)
0 x
karpos

Post by karpos »

Neto wrote:Do you remove the manufacturer's label? (Obviously most effective that way, but voids the warranty, correct?)
I don't. on my non-watercooled builds, I use noctua cpu coolers and 3000rpm and have a bunch of ll120s in push pull configuration and it blows a LOT of air across the motherboard.

I mostly use m.2 for boot volumes, pcie raid stripes for video import/export and wd enterprise drives for storage, so my m2 doesnt get that hot.

Some motherboards have m.2 heat syncs. rampage vi etc
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I tried using my translator app on this thread. It did not work.
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

appleman2006 wrote:I tried using my translator app on this thread. It did not work.
:lol:
0 x
karpos

Post by karpos »

appleman2006 wrote:I tried using my translator app on this thread. It did not work.
try pytorch and turn debugging on, tar and gzip the output and distribute it via bittorrent.

or ask any 10 year old.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

karpos wrote:
try pytorch and turn debugging on, tar and gzip the output and distribute it via bittorrent.

or ask any 10 year old.

Your what turned green and fell off?
0 x