The complete list of alternatives to all Google products

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Admiral Acbon
Affiliation: BMA

The complete list of alternatives to all Google products

Post by Admiral Acbon »

I don't have experience with too many of these, but someone who hasn't been tied into Google (via search, Voice, Gmail, YouTube, etc.) for the past 15 years should find this a good starting point.

https://www.techspot.com/news/80729-com ... ducts.html
0 x
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: The complete list of alternatives to all Google products

Post by MaxPC »

This is useful, AA. Thank you.
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JoshScott
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by JoshScott »

This list is really handy and contains some things I hadn't heard of yet. I will be checking some of these out for sure.

We dropped Gmail (G Suite) at our business and switched to Runbox and have been pretty happy. The webmail is pretty bad but we use our own email clients. We also replaced our Microsoft SBS 2011 server with a Synology NAS (a Linux based solution) and with the Synology apps we're able to share large files out from our own server instead of using Google Drive or Dropbox. The Synology NAS also has it's own calendar which has replaced Google Calendar fairly well - and a chat feature that keeps all company chat internal. At home we use the Lightning calendar add-on for Mozilla Thunderbird. We run Linux at home and use Firefox and stay away from Google and Microsoft as much as possible anymore. Those companies are bad data harvesters anymore. Their products are basically spyware.
0 x
Admiral Acbon
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Admiral Acbon »

Uh oh.

"How private browser 'DuckDuckGo' may be giving your data to Google"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmiY8lYhG7I
0 x
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
JoshScott
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by JoshScott »

Admiral Acbon wrote:Uh oh.

Thanks for this link. I watched it and they're basically just speculating about a technical potentiality. They didn't have anything concrete there they could point to.

I think as long as we (users) expect the entire internet to operate for us free of charge, we can expect to continue dealing with these kinds of issues. Like they say, "if the service is free, you're the product."
0 x
Aaron
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Aaron »

JoshScott wrote:
Admiral Acbon wrote:Uh oh.

Thanks for this link. I watched it and they're basically just speculating about a technical potentiality. They didn't have anything concrete there they could point to.

I think as long as we (users) expect the entire internet to operate for us free of charge, we can expect to continue dealing with these kinds of issues. Like they say, "if the service is free, you're the product."

I noticed the last two weeks, perhaps up to two months, that duckduck has been seeming to be more censored/ restricted information/ than it was just four months ago. Whether it was duck's choice, or google's throttling it, I have no idea, but it is happening now daily....
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

JoshScott wrote:This list is really handy and contains some things I hadn't heard of yet. I will be checking some of these out for sure.
.....and stay away from Google and Microsoft as much as possible anymore. Those companies are bad data harvesters anymore. Their products are basically spyware.
As noted a few times in the last week or two, the bots are (every day, constantly) copying everything possible - on forums, threads, posts, chat rooms, etc etc etc .... , and not for a good purpose...
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Aaron wrote:As noted a few times in the last week or two, the bots are (every day, constantly) copying everything possible - on forums, threads, posts, chat rooms, etc etc etc .... , and not for a good purpose...
Well, Robert could install a robots.txt to stop this, but then people who rely on Internet searches would never find this forum in the first place.
Aaron wrote:I noticed the last two weeks, perhaps up to two months, that duckduck has been seeming to be more censored/ restricted information/ than it was just four months ago. Whether it was duck's choice, or google's throttling it, I have no idea, but it is happening now daily....
Okay, so is it a good or a bad thing if DuckDuckGo and/or Google are leaving search results out? You can't have what you request at the above without what you don't want at the lower.
0 x
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Suppose people find and read the Scripture , thinking that in them they will find life ?

Will that help them ?

Suppose people find and read the sites that phrmk hates ? The sites with cures well known and used generations ago ...

Will that help them ?

Suppose someone finds a pearl of great price , but it looks like a dirty large pebble to them and they just toss it back, will that help them ?
0 x
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Post by Fidelio »

deleted post
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.