Cloud Backup Recommendations?

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
QuietObserver
Affiliation:

Cloud Backup Recommendations?

Post by QuietObserver »

I'm looking for some recommendations on cloud backup. I'm looking to backup a computer that serves as the server for a small business financial software. The data is very valuable to the company, and if the server would crash, they could be in a bad way. They currently use Carbonite. It's 200GB using legacy file backup, I believe this costs the company $269/ year. Carbonite is offering a 30% off if they upgrade to a hybrid image backup with 500 GB (the extra space would be nice.) List price is $799, introductory price is $599. Hybrid image backup does really appeal to me, supposedly it would speed up recovery which is very important.

I did a brief internet search, and there are other services that are a lot cheaper (maybe less features or less reliable?). The data is valuable, so I want a reliable solution. But just because Carbonite is more expensive doesn't necesarily mean it's a better product.

Any advice for a reliable solution for a decent price?
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Cloud Backup Recommendations?

Post by Neto »

Any possible consideration of a private cloud? Something like an IO Fire safe, or a Synology NAS, possibly located in a separate building. (I read an article that was pushing cloud backup, but in the cons the author asked the question: How large would your company have to be in order to reasonably expect to be able to ever get your data back in the case of a major crash?) A private cloud back up system could also be located completely off-site by use of a pair of network antennas. Slower, yes, but backups are generally done at night anyway.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.