Google Chromebooks

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
trimthicket
Affiliation:

Google Chromebooks

Post by trimthicket »

Has anyone heard of Chromebooks being used as a viable method of filtering/monitoring Internet usage amongst groups of users?
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Google Chromebooks

Post by lesterb »

trimthicket wrote:Has anyone heard of Chromebooks being used as a viable method of filtering/monitoring Internet usage amongst groups of users?
I haven't. But I don't think I have ever met anyone who owns a chromebook.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

A Chromebook is a laptop that uses a lot of cloud storage. Some have no hard drive. You can use browser add ones to limit access if you choose. There are several blacklist extensions you can add to Chrome. I have not found a whitelist option for Chrome, but have not looked for one the past 6 months. Maybe something is out there.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

trimthicket wrote:Has anyone heard of Chromebooks being used as a viable method of filtering/monitoring Internet usage amongst groups of users?
I would not consider them ideal for this.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:
I would not consider them ideal for this.
Although you could set up a proxy server under their flavor of Linux to do just that, just about any desktop would be better, even a used cheep.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
trimthicket
Affiliation:

Post by trimthicket »

With their popularity within school systems, I thought they would be great for the task. But maybe that's just for a deployment of hundreds instead of 10 to 20.

Some folks I know are currently using email only. They work with a company out of Lancaster that registers a domain, runs an email server for them, and provides them with a pre-configured router that only allows email through. Providing a router seems silly since what's to stop someone from just plugging right into the modem?

I feel this is overkill for what they're trying to accomplish. For $100, I had hoped a Chromebook could be configured with all the controls in place. Then at most maybe pay a small price for ad free email.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

trimthicket wrote:With their popularity within school systems, I thought they would be great for the task. But maybe that's just for a deployment of hundreds instead of 10 to 20.

Some folks I know are currently using email only. They work with a company out of Lancaster that registers a domain, runs an email server for them, and provides them with a pre-configured router that only allows email through. Providing a router seems silly since what's to stop someone from just plugging right into the modem?

I feel this is overkill for what they're trying to accomplish. For $100, I had hoped a Chromebook could be configured with all the controls in place. Then at most maybe pay a small price for ad free email.
Like Robert said, Chromebooks are linux computers. Probably there would be a way of setting up the firewall rules to do that. Or you could just buy a cheap Windows laptop and install Linux and get someone to set it up for you.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

trimthicket wrote:With their popularity within school systems, I thought they would be great for the task. But maybe that's just for a deployment of hundreds instead of 10 to 20.

Schools have servers that run firewalls and filters. The Chromebooks just access the internet through the server. They do little filtering themselves.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Robert wrote:

Schools have servers that run firewalls and filters. The Chromebooks just access the internet through the server. They do little filtering themselves.
Installing OpenDNS on the router would work, wouldn't it? You could use the whitelist option to only include the sites you needed for updates and email.

Of course, there would still be the issue of being able to just plug the internet directly into the computer.

By the way if I remember correctly, EmyPeople does install software on your computer that sets your proxy settings and locks them, so that you can't just bypass it. I didn't think it was a regular router though. I think they use the Dynamite protector system.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote:Installing OpenDNS on the router would work, wouldn't it? You could use the whitelist option to only include the sites you needed for updates and email.
Some routers actually come with some blacklist/whitelist abilities. Knowing how to access and set it up is a whole other ballgame.

Anoher tool would be setting up a whitelist DNS list, say at, mennonet.com, that could be used any who wanted it. I suspect there are some already out there, so no need to duplicate things.
0 x