bummed.

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Re: bummed.

Post by Joy »

My iPhone died of old age, as my sister-in-law gave me hers before she left the country with her husband; and now I've got Moto. But I was, and still am, with H2O Wireless, and am paying $28 a month for all the talking, texting, and data that I need. Verizon charged much more than that, for less, and had me to a contract, to which I agreed as long as I needed it for accepting prison calls. I'm happy with H2O.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Joy wrote:My iPhone died of old age, as my sister-in-law gave me hers before she left the country with her husband; and now I've got Moto.

But I was, and still am, with H2O Wireless, and am paying $28 a month for all the talking, texting, and data that I need. Verizon charged much more than that, for less, and had me to a contract, to which I agreed as long as I needed it for accepting prison calls. I'm happy with H2O.
In some strange way over decades, the Verizon Family Plan i began when my family was living, and in the same county, has continued, my husband died, children left the nest and moved FAR away, but the plan continues. With some variations of discounts available through their different employers .. and, a recent addition, new family member, grdaughter added.

i am no longer the primary account owner .. which once caused a small hiccup when i could not be located as owning a cellphone account. i can’t remember the details. but the problem was overcome, somehow. at one point, i was a bit disgruntled, suspecting my monthly bill share was probably a bit more than it should have been, with my basic phone, versus my family’s fancy phones .. but, i stuck with it. by then, my daughter was figuring out who owes what.

about a year ago, i noticed my monthly bill was paid. i presumed an error. this has continued. :lol:
i suppose i was paying more, now i’m enjoying a free ride.

at this point, i have no idea what my fair share is on this Family Plan of decades.
none of us predicted this plan would go on+on, now in 3 states, soon to be 4. with tweaks for deaths, marriages, and births.

when the ability to keep your existing number became a reality, this was a great improvement. changing addresses, or service providers, does not mean you’re forced to change phone numbers.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

temporal1 wrote:i’ve had my phone for approx 12 years.
it’s been through “everything.” i believe it’s giving out.
Your phone is about the same age as my oldest daughter :shock:
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

You could just keep using your existing phone right up until the last second Verizon keeps their EV-DO network going.

Then you could switch to a 4G LTE based flip phone - there are a couple different models for sale. I've considered getting one myself.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Page 81 / Aug 2018 / i think it is funny
temporal1 wrote:
Robert wrote:What does this say about me? I have never owned an Iphone. Never plan to own an Iphone.

grace granted: my 10 year old free flip phone continues to function.
Today .. :P
i have a second appointment to activate the iphone my family gifted me.
i have to go to a nearby “corporate” Verizon store. i was warned, they are not good for customer service. between that and virus distancing, i have not been eager to go. :-|

here’s hoping it goes well. :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Verizon is closing most of their corporate stores (and not replacing the customer service function they performed with anything else). They are shifting to more independent retailers, who tend to do a much worse job of customer service, although the last authorised retailer I went to did a good job for me.

They do have better staffing at their call centre, so you can get somewhat better results now when you call in.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:Verizon is closing most of their corporate stores (and not replacing the customer service function they performed with anything else). They are shifting to more independent retailers, who tend to do a much worse job of customer service, although the last authorised retailer I went to did a good job for me.

They do have better staffing at their call centre, so you can get somewhat better results now when you call in.
Thanks.
i’d better not delay.

i first called a nearby “independent retailer,” the cheerful manager assured they could help me, “no problem.” i made an appointment. i was happy to find service within 10 miles.

after a bit, it was clear (the manager) could NOT transfer (data) from my CONVOY to the iphone.
making the appt., i told her exactly which phones i was bringing, she was confident. but, IRL, my CONVOY completely threw her. she acted like it was from a “galaxy far-far away.” so to speak. :P

she emphasized her store is ALL ABOUT SERVICE, but told me i needed to go to a Verizon Corporate store. she assured me Corporate has the correct cables, etc., but, terrible customer service, be prepared to have a long wait, be treated badly, etc. (i haven’t driven into this bigger town, about 20 miles, since March or so.) virus, you know.

i would have been very impressed if she would have recognized over the phone that she was incompetent regarding the CONVOY. that would have been excellent customer service. in my mind.

now for my next adventure. :mrgreen:
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Verizon Corporate store.
i got to my appointment, was greeted by a mask-wearing rep, immediately told they have NO WAY to transfer data from my flip phone to the iphone. they have not had that “machine” for 2 years.
eventually, she gave me suggestions about where i might find this service. i got a phone number.

i moved to a corner of the store to call. her suggestions did not work out.
but, one had another number, a mobile store across town.

i think this guy will be able to do it, i will take both phones in and expect it to take hours.
probably $50-60.
at his instruction, i asked the Verizon people to activate the iphone, add SIM card, which they did, at no extra charge.

perhaps the FBI is my next stop. this is the machine nobody has anymore:

CELLEBRITE: “Cellebrite is the FBI's go-to phone hacker”
https://money.cnn.com/2016/03/31/techno ... index.html

i am now learning how to use the iphone. :?

my first call was to my son, he+his new bride began their big moving journey yesterday, So Cal to Holland, MI. :dance: he is driving a Uhaul, towing his car, she is driving her car. i worry he is pushing her too hard on this. she is not the gear head he is. and other things. :?
they got a late start, decided to “drive through” to SW Utah, anyway. they will stay there, then leave Thursday. i’m relieved to say.

so, as i was fiddling with the phone and accidentally called him several times at 2 a.m., it was “ok.” :oops: :P this thing is so sensitive! :lol: yet, they can be purchased+used without minimum age or training or license. :shock:

it is quite a change for me. it’s so much more than i need.

but! i was exploring the maps feature, plotting a route to visit Holland. :D
that could be useful. :D

my nemesis, chicago, is in the way.
driving around that mess was unpleasant decades ago.
i’m very likely to drive ‘way around it. i don’t think i can avoid all of it.

it would be nice if so many people were not behaving as tho they are stark-raving mad.
maybe there are just too many drugs+chemicals in (the world’s) drinking water.

i stopped for an oil+lube, was told i need 2 new tires and tire rotation.
it was ladies’ day, so, $7 discount. :mrgreen:
it has a new air filter, from the “lake cruise” i put it through in June. :P
(i drove through a flooded street after my FIRST Verizon store visit to activate the phone.)
my windshield wipers are ok, but i’ll probably put new ones on, before too long.
0 x

UNKNOWN