American Sign Language software

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: American Sign Language software

Post by Bootstrap »

Neto wrote:Telephone conversation is one of the biggest challenges, because he has started a home business, because he can no longer do what he was doing before (timber buyer). He didn't really ask for something down that line, but it might be that he didn't think it would be possible.
Can he use email? Could his home business have a web site? Online technologies do not require hearing, but being Amish, these may not be options.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote:Yes, he is Amish (Old Order). I lived with a deaf couple (in their basement, with 7 other guys) for one semester during college, due to the dorm being full. If I recall correctly, they had a telephone that converted voice to text on a small screen. (There was a light that would flash when the telephone rang.) Telephone conversation is one of the biggest challenges, because he has started a home business, because he can no longer do what he was doing before (timber buyer). He didn't really ask for something down that line, but it might be that he didn't think it would be possible.

He asked for software that would help him learn sign language. I have done some searching, and found some on-line (free) services that would possibly help him, IF he was able to be on-line, which is out of the question. He wants one that will play short videos of a person signing, then perhaps have a text pop up that would tell what was being said. I think that an interactive one could pretty easily have the learner choose out of a list of options, or even type out what they think it being signed.

Thanks you all for the responses.
We'll include him in our prayers for a solution, Neto. Since he already possessed hearing and matured language skills it will be easier for him to adapt, according to my wife. She also worked with special needs adults who had adventitious sensory loss.

The OOA are quite resourceful. I knew an OOA man who was deaf and used a pad for communication: it was a paper legal pad but it worked. Before the iPad there was Legal Pad. Sometimes the best solutions are simple ones :lol: His family helped him in his business too.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote:
Neto wrote:Telephone conversation is one of the biggest challenges, because he has started a home business, because he can no longer do what he was doing before (timber buyer). He didn't really ask for something down that line, but it might be that he didn't think it would be possible.
Can he use email? Could his home business have a web site? Online technologies do not require hearing, but being Amish, these may not be options.
Yes, he will be getting email. While some Amish-owned businesses in this area do have websites, they have someone else host & manage it, and have the emails automatically forwarded to them. But I doubt that he will do that, because it is just a small business, at least for now. I didn't mention this, but he also still works a day job, grading timber on the sawmill yard, I believe. I don't know him well enough to know how many children he & his wife have, but a daughter (the oldest, I believe) married a guy from PA, so she's not around to help at all anymore.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Is taking an in person ASL class at all an option? He will learn so much faster with that.

The Amish community in Holmes Co. is big enough that I imagine an Amish deaf community exists, although I checked with my deaf friends and none of them are aware of one.
0 x