Cheaper wifi

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Re: Cheaper wifi

Post by Joy »

PeterG wrote:Joy, do you know approximately how much data you use every month?
I'm not very electronics savvy. I have no idea, except presumably a lot. That's informative, isn't it? :roll:
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Check Comcast. They probably have a cheaper Internet only option.
0 x
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

We lived in 5 different houses in the last 5 years and have tried a variety of different plans. By far the best was one house where we had a Time Warner Cable line. We had a phone and internet bundle for a very reasonable price (can't recall the exact number) and their internet was blazing fast. The disadvantage was that there was no phone service when electric was off.

At three of those places the only option was Frontier and we were not happy with their service anywhere, OH or MN). Very slow and draggy, erratic service, and frequent outages lasting from an hour or two to several days. Their price was very reasonable, though. Had we stayed longer, I would have seriously considered satellite service of some kind, and been happy to pay ten or twenty dollars a month more for more reliable service.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Peregrino wrote:We lived in 5 different houses in the last 5 years and have tried a variety of different plans. By far the best was one house where we had a Time Warner Cable line. We had a phone and internet bundle for a very reasonable price (can't recall the exact number) and their internet was blazing fast. The disadvantage was that there was no phone service when electric was off.

At three of those places the only option was Frontier and we were not happy with their service anywhere, OH or MN). Very slow and draggy, erratic service, and frequent outages lasting from an hour or two to several days. Their price was very reasonable, though. Had we stayed longer, I would have seriously considered satellite service of some kind, and been happy to pay ten or twenty dollars a month more for more reliable service.
i'm glad you shared this experience with Frontier, i agree, quality and type of service will vary with location! important not to overlook that.

similar to differences in cellphone service, depending on location of towers, dead spots, etc.

happily, my service is good, i have no complaints here.
when i have had problems, their tech support has been available, and easy to understand (they lead, i follow instructions.) sometimes, in very odd hours (important!)

Joy, i hope you'll soon have much more reasonable service, high quality, lower cost.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Joy wrote:
trimthicket wrote:https://www.freedompop.com/

For pay-as-you-go, try https://yourkarma.com/pricing
So what is the catch? Sounds too good to be true.
i sent the links to my techy family. :lol:
will they be approved for mom? i'll let you know what they say.
don't hold your breath. i may have to ask more than once to get a reply.

my techy family is the reason why i appreciate "real" tech people .. real tech people answer, walk me through (with patience) .. ask if i have other questions, AND wish me a good day. :mrgreen:
0 x

UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Peregrino wrote:We lived in 5 different houses in the last 5 years and have tried a variety of different plans. By far the best was one house where we had a Time Warner Cable line. We had a phone and internet bundle for a very reasonable price (can't recall the exact number) and their internet was blazing fast. The disadvantage was that there was no phone service when electric was off.

If you can get cable you can buy rather than rent the cable modem. Saves 10$+ a month, costs about 60$ one time. I have replaced a number of these for friends.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus

temporal1 wrote:
Josh wrote:
Joy wrote:Then what about cheap landline Internet access? We're paying around $90 a month now.
That's pretty expensive. What is your telephone company and your cable TV company? The latter usually offers Internet only access, but is sometimes cheaper in a "bundle"
i have this, through Frontier. they use the existing landlines, but, it's not "dial-up!"
my bill was $26.99/mo, high speed internet only, it just went up, it might be close to $30 next bill.

it serves the entire house, without wires.

packages are available.
i no longer have a landline phone, fax, or other.
my landline is now only used for internet access.

for me, it's a better quality connection than satellite (country location.)
i.e., fewer outages due to trees, etc.
This is ADSL, and the speed and quality varies with the distance to your central office. The further you are out, the lower quality your service. It uses the copper loop already in place for phone service.

J.M.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Most phone companies sell "naked" dsl. This is internet only. This usually runs between $25 and $40 a month. This is unlimited use. They often do not advertize it because they want to sell bundles and make more money. You may have to ask the phone company you use specifically for it. They will then try to upsell you to more speed or data. Decline. The basic speed is more than enough form all but the most hard core streamers.

And of the boxes like Karma, or any of the cell phone companies that sell access boxes like that, you are getting access through the cell towers. This is almost always metered and you are charged or limited to amounts of data used. For a light user, one who browses the net occansionally, these are okay. For any streaming or heavy use, this often becomes a limitation.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Judas Maccabeus

Robert wrote:Most phone companies sell "naked" dsl. This is internet only. This usually runs between $25 and $40 a month. This is unlimited use. They often do not advertize it because they want to sell bundles and make more money. You may have to ask the phone company you use specifically for it. They will then try to upsell you to more speed or data. Decline. The basic speed is more than enough form all but the most hard core streamers.

And of the boxes like Karma, or any of the cell phone companies that sell access boxes like that, you are getting access through the cell towers. This is almost always metered and you are charged or limited to amounts of data used. For a light user, one who browses the net occansionally, these are okay. For any streaming or heavy use, this often becomes a limitation.
You can get ADSL "Modems" as well, and save the rental fee also, but they are a bit difficult to set up. I have set these up as well.

J.M.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert,
i have no idea how i happened to get this single good service for a reasonable price ($26.99 for 2-3 years or more?) .. but i did. they do constantly send mailers offering bundles and "even higher hi speed," but, how fast does MN need my connection to be?! so, i have declined.

it was unusual.
one evening, a young man knocked on the door, mid-winter, it was dark out, it was odd.
typically, i might not answer the door. or, simply state, i'm not interested.

he said he was in the neighborhood offering this internet service, he described how it was better than the satellite service i had .. probably a few dollars less (?) .. (that would get my attention, that lovely combination of better service for less cost!) :lol:

it was odd. but i agreed. no regrets.

one other thing.
when i had a land line phone, the connection was always "static-y." annoying.
fax worked fine.
i guessed there was something wrong at the house connection.
finally, after years, i called for help with it. i rarely used that phone for anything but faxing.

turned out, the underground wire from house to terminal (maybe 100'+?) was quite deteriorated.
they (Frontier) replaced the entire thing, quickly+efficiently, no more problems.

i suppose that new wire does not hurt the new internet service.
0 x

UNKNOWN