Cheaper wifi

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Re: Cheaper wifi

Post by Joy »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Robert wrote:Most phone companies sell "naked" dsl. This is internet only. This usually runs between $25 and $40 a month. This is unlimited use. They often do not advertize it because they want to sell bundles and make more money. You may have to ask the phone company you use specifically for it. They will then try to upsell you to more speed or data. Decline. The basic speed is more than enough form all but the most hard core streamers.

And of the boxes like Karma, or any of the cell phone companies that sell access boxes like that, you are getting access through the cell towers. This is almost always metered and you are charged or limited to amounts of data used. For a light user, one who browses the net occansionally, these are okay. For any streaming or heavy use, this often becomes a limitation.
You can get ADSL "Modems" as well, and save the rental fee also, but they are a bit difficult to set up. I have set these up as well.

J.M.
JM, yes, I checked about buying the modem for Comcast this morning; I couldn't find the model anywhere online that the woman showed me. The Arris ones with similar numbers were hundreds of dollars.

And Robert, I haven't found that more speed helps anything. :( So I know better.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

If you're in an AT&T service area you probably can't get Frontier. Most Frontier service areas nowadays are the old GTE areas, which Frontier acquired from Verizon (and became much larger in the process).

My years on Frontier were abysmal, starting with the year+ it took to get them to fix my lines so I could get DSL. The best I could get was 3 megabit service. They floated a trial balloon of 5 GB/month caps. Thankfully that idea ended up going nowhere.

Fun fact: my Frontier number at the time it was terminated had been in service since the days of party lines when (I think) it was a long, long, short. Then it was Smith-Field 37186, (614) 733-7186, and later (740) 733-7186. I wanted to keep the number, but that particular phone exchange didn't have to offer number porting if you moved away.

I still have the General phone that was leased for decades on that line. (When we cancelled the lease, nobody from Verizon cared to come pick up the still-working 1950s era phone.)
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

o.yeah. when no one thought about out-living phones. :P
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Joy wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Robert wrote:Most phone companies sell "naked" dsl. This is internet only. This usually runs between $25 and $40 a month. This is unlimited use. They often do not advertize it because they want to sell bundles and make more money. You may have to ask the phone company you use specifically for it. They will then try to upsell you to more speed or data. Decline. The basic speed is more than enough form all but the most hard core streamers.

And of the boxes like Karma, or any of the cell phone companies that sell access boxes like that, you are getting access through the cell towers. This is almost always metered and you are charged or limited to amounts of data used. For a light user, one who browses the net occansionally, these are okay. For any streaming or heavy use, this often becomes a limitation.
You can get ADSL "Modems" as well, and save the rental fee also, but they are a bit difficult to set up. I have set these up as well.

J.M.
JM, yes, I checked about buying the modem for Comcast this morning; I couldn't find the model anywhere online that the woman showed me. The Arris ones with similar numbers were hundreds of dollars.

And Robert, I haven't found that more speed helps anything. :( So I know better.
Try this, I just installed 2 weeks ago:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4497 ... 300_Router

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh

Post by Josh »

I still rent my modem from Time Warner since they offer virtually no support if anything goes wrong and you have a customer supplied modem.
0 x
Joy

Post by Joy »

Josh wrote:I still rent my modem from Time Warner since they offer virtually no support if anything goes wrong and you have a customer supplied modem.
Can you get help if you pay the fee for a support session?
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Joy wrote:
Josh wrote:I still rent my modem from Time Warner since they offer virtually no support if anything goes wrong and you have a customer supplied modem.
Can you get help if you pay the fee for a support session?
No. They say they can't diagnose a problem which is due to the modem.
0 x
Joy

Post by Joy »

Now that makes buying more complicated.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Joy wrote:Now that makes buying more complicated.
Comcast might be better, and in any case, if it becomes an issue, you can just ask to start renting a modem and then go about getting the issue fixed. Since we have problems with our Time Warner connection on a monthly basis, I decided to stick with renting.
0 x
Joy

Post by Joy »

Good option.
0 x