File associations lost

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: File associations lost

Post by gcdonner »

lesterb wrote:
Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote:Microsoft says that I have the latest drivers downloaded already
Because Windows has loaded the default "Microsoft" mouse drivers and it is up t date. Check the manufacturer and model of the mouse and search for drivers from that manufacturer. You should find what you need.
Did your mouse come with a disk?
Yup, but the software is for Win XP and is not compatible... I did have it working properly in the previous install of Win7.
I just got a notice this morning as I was booting up that my version of Win7 is an older version and suggested that I upgrade to SP1 OR Win10, but I don't want to go through all the hassles of reinstalling everything and find that some of my programs are no longer compatible.
Have you been running Win10 lester? How to assess it?
Thanks
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote:Microsoft says that I have the latest drivers downloaded already
Because Windows has loaded the default "Microsoft" mouse drivers and it is up t date. Check the manufacturer and model of the mouse and search for drivers from that manufacturer. You should find what you need.
According to Microsoft the drivers are the appropriate ones for my Microsoft Intellimouse...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:
lesterb wrote:
Robert wrote:
Yup, but the software is for Win XP and is not compatible... I did have it working properly in the previous install of Win7.
I just got a notice this morning as I was booting up that my version of Win7 is an older version and suggested that I upgrade to SP1 OR Win10, but I don't want to go through all the hassles of reinstalling everything and find that some of my programs are no longer compatible.
Thanks
I would recommend not relying on software that is Windows XP-only if you can help it, especially for something important to your system operation like mouse button software.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

gcdonner wrote: According to Microsoft the drivers are the appropriate ones for my Microsoft Intellimouse...
It could still be installing the standard mouse drivers. You can search to see of M$ has specific drivers for that. You can also search to see if there is 3rd party software to access the mouse wheel clicks.

I would recommend updating to Windows10 while it is still free, if you choose to update. I find it to be pretty easy to use and works well, but it may be too demanding on an older system.

Linux Mint is progressing so well that it is an easy replacement for Windows now if you are not playing a lot of purchased games. Linux has a very deep variety of free games that would fill the need of most. Some of the photo and video editing software is quite well done and also all free.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote: According to Microsoft the drivers are the appropriate ones for my Microsoft Intellimouse...
It could still be installing the standard mouse drivers. You can search to see of M$ has specific drivers for that. You can also search to see if there is 3rd party software to access the mouse wheel clicks.

I would recommend updating to Windows10 while it is still free, if you choose to update. I find it to be pretty easy to use and works well, but it may be too demanding on an older system.

Linux Mint is progressing so well that it is an easy replacement for Windows now if you are not playing a lot of purchased games. Linux has a very deep variety of free games that would fill the need of most. Some of the photo and video editing software is quite well done and also all free.
Will my software work with Linus Mint? Will I have to do a clean install again?
I have 2TB of HDD (one is a slave), I have 8GB of ram presently, but am hoping to upgrade that to 16. I am running an AMD Phenom(tm) II x4 840T Processor, 2.90 GHz.
I assume that it will run Win 10 with no problems, but wonder about my programs. I am not concerned with games as I only use video games on my standalone sets, like PS2 & XBox (oldies but goodies) and don't use them but once a month at the most anymore.
What kind of compatibility issues will I run into with my printer, scanner, etc? The printer made the jump to Win7 with some hiccups at first, but in this most recent install, came through with no issues at all and I didn't have to go searching for new drivers as they were automatically installed.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you, Robert and all.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
lesterb wrote: Did your mouse come with a disk?
Thanks
I would recommend not relying on software that is Windows XP-only if you can help it, especially for something important to your system operation like mouse button software.
In this present install it was automatically updated and the disc won't work anymore with Win7 anyway, so in the trash it goes... Thanks Josh
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

gcdonner wrote:
lesterb wrote:
Robert wrote:
Thanks
I've upgraded all my computers to Win 10. Two are on Pro and one on Home. Two of my daughters are using it as well, but another one went back to Win 7. I had to get a different printer, because the scanner on my Dell laser wasn't compatible with Win 10. I didn't have problems with programs, but I keep most of them up to date.

The one year free upgrade period ended at the end of July. Mostly you need to pay to get Win 10 now.

Under Linux you would need to get all new programs. They would be free, but you'd still need to learn how to use them, and how to use Linux, which is substantially more difficult to use than Windows 10. In fact, if you keep it set in desktop mode, you will hardly see any difference between Win 10 and Win 7.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote:Under Linux you would need to get all new programs. They would be free, but you'd still need to learn how to use them, and how to use Linux, which is substantially more difficult to use than Windows 10.
I have a laptop with Mint running and the boys don't even notice a difference.

Once set up, it works easy enough. You can even install it as a dual boot and can leave Windows on and choose which to use. Most printers will work with Linux now. Easy to search to find out if yours will or not.

Windows 10 will run on your system. With 8 meg of RAM, you will find it a little slow when doing videos and lots of graphics like big pictures. Going to 16 meg will solve that. Linux will fly on 8 meg of RAM.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:
lesterb wrote:Under Linux you would need to get all new programs. They would be free, but you'd still need to learn how to use them, and how to use Linux, which is substantially more difficult to use than Windows 10.
I have a laptop with Mint running and the boys don't even notice a difference.

Once set up, it works easy enough. You can even install it as a dual boot and can leave Windows on and choose which to use. Most printers will work with Linux now. Easy to search to find out if yours will or not.

Windows 10 will run on your system. With 8 meg of RAM, you will find it a little slow when doing videos and lots of graphics like big pictures. Going to 16 meg will solve that. Linux will fly on 8 meg of RAM.
So if I decided to run two OS, would I download the Linux to my secondary hard drive or merely put it into a separate partition in the C: drive?
I should just go to Linux and not be bothered with all the other stuff... I know it ran well when I had it on my older machine a few years ago. Will it easily be integrated into a network if I were to load Linux into my wife's laptop as well? The laptop hasn't been doing well on Win7 even though that is what it came with, but then my wife only uses it about once a month too and just gets onto mine when I'm doing other things.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

You download Linux Mint and when you run it to install, you select dual boot or some such wording. It will partition your machine as needed and install itself. I do think you have to download the ISO file and make a DVD or boot flash drive with it.

Reason why I suggest Mint is it has a very M$ Windows like interface. Not hard for someone not that familiar with Linux to learn the basics. If you are doing heavy duty system stuff, it can get a little tricky, but the basic stuff that most people do, it is quite easy for someone used to Windows.
0 x