File associations lost

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: File associations lost

Post by Robert »

You can if you have a CD or install files partitioned in another area on your hard drive. It is actually running a repair. Microsoft also has a little repair program to fix a lot of ills. Can't remember that name, but you can download it from their website for free. PCFix or some such name I think. Make sure you are on the Microsoft website before you search for it. This will make sure any search results are from Microsoft.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:Is it possible to do a re-install without losing all my files and programs? I am willing to do that as I am finding that I have also lost "permissions" to many files and even some files appear to have been emptied of photos, etc in the process. The more I investigate the more damage I have found, and as I had said before, it all started with a bunch of windows updates, which when I did a system restore before their installation, corrected the problems.
If I can do a re-install without formatting the hard drive(s) and losing all my files, I am all for it.
Please advise.
You can reinstall without losing files, but you will lose your programs and need to reinstall them.

Part of the problem might be how some of your programs are installed, so reinstalling them is actually a good thing. I'm guessing one of your programs is malfunctioning in some way which is making the file associations keep disappearing. Reinstalling your programs would, most likely, fix that problem.

I would back up all your important files just in case!
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Thanks Guys,
I probably will do the re-install on Wednesday after I get home from bible study as it will be raining so I can't work outside. I am finishing up a storage shed that I have been building in my backyard which has kept me busy for a little more than a week. I have done most of it myself. I'm not as fast as I used to be (or as young...)
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Good evening Guys and Gals,
I have reinstalled Win7 and now am in the process of re-installing many of my programs again. Nearly all of my "files" are on a slave drive, so none of them were lost. I just wish there was a way to just activate the programs that are actually still on there, but...
Now I need to figure out how to get my wheel mouse to double click from the wheel. The drivers were automatically downloaded from the internet, but I have no option to make the wheel into a double click again as it used to be...I guess I will "suffer" with the normal left double click action.
Thank you all again for your help. My issues with file associations seems to be fixed at last.
Blessings,
George
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

What brand of mouse do you have?

Try downloading Logitech's or Microsoft's software.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:What brand of mouse do you have?

Try downloading Logitech's or Microsoft's software.
I have a Microsoft mouse. When I reloaded 7 it loaded some software, but there is nothing in the "Microsoft mouse & keyboard center to make adjustments to the mouse, though that is where I am directed from the mouse properties to go. There is plenty to adjust on the Microsoft ergonomic keyboard, which I am learning has a lot more bells and whistles than I have ever used.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

You need to download the specific drivers for that mouse from the manufacturer. Then you have to set the preferences there. I use a Logitech G602 that has about 11 buttons. I can program each one. This all has to be done through manufacturer software.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Robert wrote:You need to download the specific drivers for that mouse from the manufacturer. Then you have to set the preferences there. I use a Logitech G602 that has about 11 buttons. I can program each one. This all has to be done through manufacturer software.
Unfortunately, Microsoft says that I have the latest drivers downloaded already, but while the mouse shows up in the hardware listings it doesn't show itself in the mouse & keyboard center. The keyboard does, but not the mouse for some strange reason. I am considering buying a newer mouse that can be set manually. I can change the button applications, and the number of pages that the wheel will move, but nothing to activate a double click on the mouse (again). I had it before the re-install... go figure.
I am happy that I got the Aero theme activated again anyway and my other issues have been resolved, so this is just a minor hiccup.
Thanks for the help.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

gcdonner wrote:Microsoft says that I have the latest drivers downloaded already
Because Windows has loaded the default "Microsoft" mouse drivers and it is up t date. Check the manufacturer and model of the mouse and search for drivers from that manufacturer. You should find what you need.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Robert wrote:
gcdonner wrote:Microsoft says that I have the latest drivers downloaded already
Because Windows has loaded the default "Microsoft" mouse drivers and it is up t date. Check the manufacturer and model of the mouse and search for drivers from that manufacturer. You should find what you need.
Did your mouse come with a disk?
0 x